Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

sick ?

BIG J

Reaction score
My golden male axie seems to be a bit under the weather =[
he is usually very active swimming and walking around his tank but in the last few days he has become very lethargic and he isn’t eating, today I noticed that around his back legs where his cloacal is, seems to be a lot more swollen than normal and it seems that because of this he is only using his front legs to move around but only when he has to usually he is just sitting in his hidie pipe all day, he is also flashing his gills a lot. He is also the only one in the tank so he hasn’t been attacked by anyone else.

can any one help me out with what is wrong with him because I would hate anything to happen to him.

Thanks

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi BIG J

Sounds like there may be an issue with the water quality. If you could advise on your water parameters for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/PH and tank temperature that would be most helpful.

What sort of substrate are you using in the tank?

Is there any water current at all in the tank that may be stressing the axolotl?

Are you able to post a photo of your axolotl's swollen cloaca?

These details may help us narrow the field a bit. :happy:

Cheers Jacq.

BIG J

Reaction score
there is 100% sand on the bottom of the tank and no gravel so it cant be impaction and thankfully his cloaca isn’t as swollen anymore and he is able to use his back legs now when he moves around.

but he still isn’t eating I tempted him with a worm earlier and he grabbed hold of it, then spat it out again I carried on trying to tempt him with it but it seems that he cant swallow things, it was only a small worm that he never had difficulty in swallowing before but he just doesn’t want to eat I also tried him on some small trout pellets but he just sniffed them, and then went and sat in his pipe, the filter doesn’t make any water flow and I haven’t been able to test the water yet but I am doing a 10% water change everyday just encase.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!