mist maker

Italicus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do someone have a mist maker in the vivaria?
can I use it in a vivaria for newt?

sorry for the english:eek:

I only use it in springtime to moister the air for my T.Shanjings and that is working very well.
Petro

I have never personally used a mist maker, prefering instead the advanced technology of the spray bottle. I do remember however someone on this forum (the name and thread escapes me) who stimulated their T. shanjing to breed by putting them under the shower. That got me thinking about the possiblility of incorporating one next year. As long as it does not saturate the enclosure to such a point that it can never dry out some I see no problems with at least trying one out.
Chip

Mist makers are very good at creating a damp atmosphere without too much water everywhere. I have used one to root cuttings rather than for newts. The mist is a lovely effect as well as useful moisture.

Do not put the unit in an aquatic area used by the newts, the ultrasonic waves which create the mist by cavitation can damage animal tissues and warm the water. It's also best to regularly clean and change the water in the mist unit with cooled freshly boiled water as otherwise you may be creating an aerosol of nasty bacteria such as those which cause legionnares disease.

can I use normal water or I must use pure water (i think that in english is osmotic water or distilled water)

You can use normal tap water, the ultrasonic discs in the mist generators have a short life whatever the water used, but they seem to last a bit longer if you use de-ionised or distilled water. If your water is hard you will find lime scale deposits on the disc of the unit and also the walls of the vivarium, using de-ionised, reverse osmosis purified or distilled avoids this. If you use hard water you will need to clean the glass with vinegar occasionally.

Just make sure the water is clean not stagnant or green with algae to avoid an unhealthy aerosol which could damage your health (it will not do the newts any harm!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back