Water area for efts?

slowfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Erin
I'm getting ready to move my Notophthalmus viridescens efts into a 10 gallon terrarium. It will be like a mansion to them! Is it safe to add a small, shallow water area? My guys are still very small - about 1.5 inches or so.

Also, is there any way to get very small earthworms? The soil around here is mostly sand so I haven't had any luck digging for them.

I think it would be alright to provide a very small, shallow water dish for them just in case. I have for my current eft (even smaller than yours!), however, I haven't noticed him using it very much, if at all.

As for tiny earthworms, I believe there is a very young stage, known as micro-worms? I have no idea how one goes about obtaining those though...

You could try hand feeding them tiny chunks of chopped earth worm from the end of a paper clip or toothpick, however, if yours are shy like mine, I don't know if they would hand feed.

Good Luck!:D

Yay! You have an eft? Congrats! :D

Yeah, they totally hate me so I don't think hand feeding them will work out. I have to dump the food in there and hide behind a chair to make sure they're eating.

Any water area will be totally shallow. I'm just thinking about the future - I'd like to get them situated in a habitat that they can use for the next year or so.

Yay! You have an eft? Congrats! :D

yeah, I do have an eft of my own, it's really exciting! I had three before this one, but...that didn't work out so well. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed, as this one seems to be growing!

You sound like you're pretty prepared, Good Luck, I think they'll do well in their new mansion!;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back