Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi new herpophiles

Red Eft

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Sarah and I love salamanders and newts! I have 4 rough skinned newts that Ive had since they were eggs/just hatchlings, about 2-3 years ago. I also just got an adult female axolotl. Some of my favorites include red efts and pacific giant salamanders. I am studying Wildlife Conservation Biology with an emphasis on herps and a minor in Natural Resources. I am also interested in arboreal salamanders. I live in Northern California.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I share your interest. I have rough-skinned newts and arboreal sals, both raised from captive-bred eggs/juvs. I would love to see a Pacific giant in the wild some day. FYI: you do realize that it's illegal to keep an axolotl in California?

Red Eft

Reaction score
I did not realize it was illegal. I got her from the University. Wonder of that makes a difference somehow.

Red Eft

Reaction score
They sell axolotls and tiger salamanders at the local pet shop, wonder if they know it's illegal, not that they'd probably care. I don't personally purchase animals from stores, all mine were given to me/rescued. I'm not going to release them into the wild or anything like that. I know axolotls are endangered in the wild (habitat loss) but are commonly found in research settings and as pets. Interesting.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are banned because captive Ambystoma pose a threat of interbreeding with the endangered Cali tiger sal. Sadly, there are people who do release pets into the wild, so thus the ban.

newtons13

Reaction score
I don't know when those laws were passed, but the first axolotl i ever saw was and albino on a very responsible (as far as care) exotic reptile/fish shop in the san Fernando Valley. This was back in '95 or so though...hee I'm gettin' old!

I walked by and had to do a tripple take at the oddity in the tank. Someday, if luck is my friend I'd like to have one. but as with a lot of other people, I don't really beleive in pet stores. rescue is so much better.

'Nighers! = )

~rachel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1