Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: ewww axy got white spots on its head and lost its gills

axyste

Reaction score
ewww axy got white spots on its head and lost its gills when i feed him he looks at the food and walks away from it?hes and albino i dont no if he changing colour please can u help me:D

inkozana

Reaction score
White spots on the head sounds more like markings, however the loss of gills doesn't sound too good.
Can you post a photo of your axolotl please? :eek:

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Axyste,

According to your previous post in another thread you are keeping the axolotl in a tropical fish tank setup: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57499

Warm water if kept over 24 degrees celcius as is the case in a tropical tank setup, will lead to disease and is a death sentence for an axolotl. The water temperature should be kept between 14 and 21 degrees celcius.

I would suggest you remove the axolotl from the tropical aquarium and keep him in a bucket or other water tight container of fresh cool water until you can suitably house your axolotl.

Please read this carefully, in particular the housing and water quality requirements for an axolotl: http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

While living in the bucket of water, you will need to change his water daily and keep the bucket somewhere cool and safe.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask on the forum.

axyste

Reaction score
when i sed tropical tank i ment the fish r separtaed but the same tank
he gets a little warm water cause i have like a thing to stop fish gettin through i will try get photo

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
when i sed tropical tank i ment the fish r separtaed but the same tank
he gets a little warm water cause i have like a thing to stop fish gettin through i will try get photo

The fish and the axolotl are in the same tank and therefore in the same water temperature which is the issue. Even 'a little warm water' will stress an axolotl - they need cold water to survive.

It's good that the tank divider keeps the fish away from the axolotl. :happy:

However, a tank divider will not keep the axolotl safe from the warm water.

If you keep him in the same tank with the fish, he will get very sick and will likely die.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ewww axy got white spots on its head and lost its gills when i feed him he looks at the food and walks away from it?hes and albino i dont no if he changing colour please can u help me:D

Do the white spots look like the spots on this photo? These are caused by 'heat stress'.

Gabriela_Grabler_27030.jpg

If the axolotl is also dropping his gills I would say he is very sick. I would strongly recommend you get him out of that tank and put him in a container of fresh dechlorinated cold water as soon as possible as per my previous post.​

axyste

Reaction score
nope they look nothing like them ive got a new fish tank and its got large pebbles to big to eat i will inform u wat has happend!!is it ok to put and albino axolot with a wild axolotls???

axyste

Reaction score
my axolotl lost its gills ever since i put a koi carp in the tank but my axolotl killed it by eat it's face:Dso i dont exactly no y:confused:

axyste

Reaction score
could i fridge him or a salt/tea bath?will that do it?he ate a worm bout 30mins ago but i noticed his skin went wrinkly?will he breed if i get a male axolotl?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
my axolotl lost its gills ever since i put a koi carp in the tank but my axolotl killed it by eat it's face:Dso i dont exactly no y:confused:

Please do not keep fish in the same tank with axolotls.

Most fish will chew on an Axolotl's gills and certain fish also have defence measures such as spines that will damage the axolotl when the axolotl trys to eat it.

The only fish you should keep with axolotls are feeder fish. But as your axolotl has damaged gills, no fish should be kept with him - not even feeder fish as they will attack the injury.

nope they look nothing like them ive got a new fish tank and its got large pebbles to big to eat i will inform u wat has happend!!is it ok to put and albino axolot with a wild axolotls???

While the axolotl is sick, keep him isolated to prevent disease spreading to the other axolotl.

could i fridge him or a salt/tea bath?will that do it?he ate a worm bout 30mins ago but i noticed his skin went wrinkly?will he breed if i get a male axolotl?

I would definately fridge him. Prepare a tub of fresh dechlorinated water, place the axolotl in the tub and place in the fridge. Keep bottles of dechlorinated water in the fridge as well - these will be used for the 100% water changes which must be done daily.

Could you please post a photo of your axolotl?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you can't keep one axolotl from getting sick, why are you thinking about breeding them?

axyste

Reaction score
good new came home from school 5mins ago and see my axolotl has startin to grow gills on 1 side:Dbut other side looks no better =[:(

axyste

Reaction score
:confused:
I would definately fridge him. Prepare a tub of fresh dechlorinated water, place the axolotl in the tub and place in the fridge. Keep bottles of dechlorinated water in the fridge as well - these will be used for the 100% water changes which must be done daily.
how long should i fridge for??

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would keep it in the fridge until you can prepare a tank that is suitable (that is, it does not have gravel and is under 20C)

axyste

Reaction score
when u sed fridge how long for?? and how big dose the tub have to be?:confused:should i do anyhting to the axolot its self?:confused:

Last edited:

axyste

Reaction score
Please do not keep fish in the same tank with axolotls.

Most fish will chew on an Axolotl's gills and certain fish also have defence measures such as spines that will damage the axolotl when the axolotl trys to eat it.

The only fish you should keep with axolotls are feeder fish. But as your axolotl has damaged gills, no fish should be kept with him - not even feeder fish as they will attack the injury.

While the axolotl is sick, keep him isolated to prevent disease spreading to the other axolotl.

Could you please post a photo of your axolotl?
could i keep other axolotls stay in the tank or will wild axolotls be bad to it??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1