Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

whats wrong???

axyste

Reaction score
my axolotl has lost its gills and white spots on its head and lost bit of tail whats wrong??
Image002.jpg

Image003-1.jpg

Image006.jpg

plz tell me whast wrong

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Is it possible something is off with your water quality? I am new at this so I am not sure but normally when something is going wrong with gills, like if they are disappearing for instance, then the water quality is bad. I would say that it is trying to metamorphose since the gills are disappearing but that rarely ever happens.

Perhaps it has a fungus or something? Don't take my word on anything, I am just trying to post a reply so you don't feel completely lost.

The tail looks as though he/she might have gotten a cut on something? I know I used to have sharp objects in my tank and my little one cut herself a few times. Hopefully someone posts something that will really help you figure out what is happening..good luck!

IanF

Reaction score
From all your other post Axyste, I'd say the problem with your Axolotl is your water quality, the gravel on the bottom of your tank, and its previous tankmates. The loss of gills might have been from the fish biting them and poor water quality. I would recommend stabilising the tanks water, removing the gravel and switching it with a proper substrate. Mabey try to do this as son as posibble, and mabey even fridge the Axolotl while you change things around.

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
I have been through marbles, sand and now a bare bottom tank and I can say that I find a bare bottom to be the best possible. There are still remnants of sand on the bottom of my tank but for the most part it is bare and it is so much easier to deal with! The only issue I have run into is that my axies hiding vase seems to float along the bottom and move places very often. Hope you get something that works good for your axie! Just please get rid of the gravel, it can be dangerous and have severe consequences if your axolotl eats it

axyste

Reaction score
my mums friend took my axolotl to the vet and the vet said the axolotl needs to be in warm water because his skin was infected by a virus or some sort...
:Dhes in my dads tank and hes doin fine hes swimming better and no blod rush in his tail XD
i will update yo soon!:D:kill:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls come from a glacial fed lake, with a temperature FAR from tropical. If you took a tropical animal, say a cute, sweet sugar glider, and you dumped it in the boreal forests of northern Canada, it would die within a year. It's not in its optimal temperature range. Your vet is full of poop.

The best treatment for almost any skin condition for an axolotl is to put it in the fridge to heal. If you warm up the water, you risk the infectious agent overwhelming the axolotl because it is in inappropriate water temperatures.

You need to get it into a colder tank, or it will die.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Ok can someone explain why a vet would tell someone to put an axolotl, which comes from a glacial lake, into warm water to cure a virus. I don't won't to jump to conclusions but that "vet" sounds fishy to me.

axyste

Reaction score
its actrully workin and the gills r growin bk and the spots r goin so its not poop
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE:D:p:happy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It will die in a tropical aquarium. It's just a matter of time. The gills don't grow back over night.

Justin, most vets don't really know squat about amphibs. They make decisions based on what they think would work with fish or reptiles (big ones, like iguanas), but most have no experience working with exotics or small animals.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe raising the temperature of the animal to the top end of it’s optimal range is fairly standard advice when treating sick herps. The idea is to kick start the immune system.

I don’t know if it works for axolotls. I wouldn’t be surprised if it did in some cases.

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Your poor axolotl. It's always a great idea to put a sensitive coldwater creature into tropical water. What temperature is your tropical tank set to?

axyste

Reaction score
:Di found out the its a very rare fungus on its skin so its not tropical its 22 and iots goes up by 1'c a day so its 24 now and the fungus will multiply and then get so hot will die.its more happy now it moves more and look happier!

inkozana

Reaction score
Stephen, what do you mean 'rare fungus' do you even know the name of the fungus? Has your vet ever worked with axolotls before? I would NOT be surprised at all if the next thread you posted had the death of your 'lotl as the title.

pixiegriff

Reaction score
I hope your axie is doing alright. I also am worried about the tropical tank, did he say to use it for a very short time to kickstart the immune system and then put him back? Are you supposed to gradually lower the temp back to normal?
I don't understand why the salt bath/or fridging wouldn't have been suggested first...doesn't this cause WAY less stress on top of the ailment he's already suffering with?
Well, at least you sought help, but seriously, the heat will do equally as much harm to your axie as it will the fungus.
Please keep us posted!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1