Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus-face Colin.

inkozana

Reaction score
My male axolotl Colin has a fungus and has been in the fridge for about 4 days.
It is slowly, SLOWLY clearing up - however he is getting thinner and thinner the more time he spends recovering. I had tried offering him food and once he had it in his mouth but spat it back out, now he just refuses it altogether.

What should I do? I don't want him to die from fungus OR starvation :eek:

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Poor little bugger. Just keep up with the salt baths and the fridging. Hopefully fridging will help slow down the weight loss

inkozana

Reaction score
Okay :( I'm asking my parents for a chiller for my birthday so that I don't run into these temperature-related problems over summer.

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Wow, now that's dedication :p I've managed to convince my mum to let me have a small corner of the fridge for my little hell raisers. Believe me, it's better to avoid the heat as much as possible. Just wait until mid-summer on here. Unfortunately a lot of axolotls will be suffering from heat stress and subsequent disease *sighs*

inkozana

Reaction score
Colin's gills.

:singing: UPDATE ~ Colin is recovering from the fungus, but at the tips of his gills there are some little white blobs.. I don't know if they are more fungus or if it is his gills re-growing..
I have pointed them out in the second photo.. :angel:

colin1.png

colin2.png

:( He looks so bad.

inkozana

Reaction score
When I put Colin into the fridge I put him into a tupperware container than is a little longer than him, so he can stretch out. It is just see through plastic. I fill it up so the water level is over him and put it in the fridge with a towel over it so that the constant interactions from people eating out of the fridge don't annoy him.

axyste

Reaction score
wooow look very skinny =[ poor thing...when i put my axololt is fridge i left him for about 7-9days and hes got so skinny and lazy i though he was died after that he started to lose his gills and grow white spots then i put him in tropical tank:D

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Oh dear. To me it looks almost as if Colin has heat stress. He looks like what Leui used to look like. Leui was suffering from heat stress last summer but I never managed to get her back to her plump size despite all my attempts. I wish you and Colin the best of luck. Just keep trying to feed him, continue the salt baths and keep him in the fridge.

inkozana

Reaction score
Heat stress? Colin has been in the fridge for about a week now.. his tank temperature has been at 22 TOPS, usually at 19/20. Stephen I am not going to take your advice.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The white blobs, if they're not 'fuzzy fungus' looking, are probably either death or regrowth of gills. In the fridge, the axolotl will need less oxygen, so the gills will deteriorate a little. This is normal.

However, it looks as if all his fimbrae (the 'hair' bits of the gills) are gone. Are you doing your salt baths too strong?

inkozana

Reaction score
No, I had a bad experience with doing salt baths too strong, so I put in half a teaspoon to about 10 litres.
Colin had a seziure last night. I put him to sleep in the freezer.
I cried a lot, but I think it was my fault for not talking care of him properly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!