Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: fully aquatic?

superfin

Reaction score
I was wondering if I should flood my newts tank so they have more places to swim but no land.Does anyone have a problem with that?:cool: because I dont want to do any thing wrong?

chris:wacko:

superfin

Reaction score
Oh:eek: sorry I thought i put that in there:blush::lol:lol.They are chinese fire bellied newts. Sorry about that:eek:

chris:wacko:

p.s call me chris :cool:

tritonfin

Reaction score
In my opinion, 15 to 20cm of water are enough. If you put more, you should also put more plant also that they can rest on those. And anyway better to leave a small island even if it's a bark of cork.

IanF

Reaction score
Thats alright Chris, I suppose I could have just bothered myself checking your profile anyway.:p
Now that you've told me the type of newt, I'm afraid I'll have to say I know very little about CFB to be honest. Sorry.:rolleyes:

aird3

Reaction score
Hi Chris. I have my tank full to the top, but I have added some log plants and a couple of rocks, a nice long reed plant which reaches to the top of the tank and you will find they love to sit on top of the plants, and it seems to give them a bit more room to swim around in a full tank. Cheers Carol.

morg

Reaction score
Mine are also kept in a full tank [14 inches, or 36cm]of water, with just a piece of floating cork bark as land, this cork bark is rarely[if ever] used, so in my mind, the more water the better.

Jake

Reaction score
I keep my adult group in a 10 gallon tank with hornwart to rest on, but no actual land. The tank is filled to the brim.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mine never go out of the water. I agree, the more water the better, and not just for the newts, who´ll love it, but for you, because the more volumen, the eassier to maintain.

A

achiinto

Mine are always in the water anyway, so I have changed it into full tank. I do have some plant in there. In my opinion, they do fine with full aquatic, and more water means better water quality.

superfin

Reaction score
Ok thanks I will go ahead and flood it maybe some cork bark :happy:.Thanks eveyone who commented:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1