Axolotles - please someone help me with white dots?

mickey5695

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mickey
Please can someone help me? im new to this website and my axolotls has got white dots on his head, its not amark they are literally white spots and im really worries. when i was given him it was jus in a tank, no filter n sed he'd be fine a without a filter? well im not too sure now! please can someone help me?

Re: Axolotles - plase someone help me with white dots?

Your tank would be fine with out a filter, as long as you change the water more often then with one, aswell as mabey making sure you have a air stone to put oxygen in the water. The white dots, if not markings, is probably fungus. The way I'd recommend treating this is salt baths, aswell as a week or so in the fridge. If it is in a tank with another Axolotl I would seperate them immediately.

Hello

Wow, thank you so much for getting back to me! how do i do the salt baths?
i live in a harden water area i dont know if that could be a reason why he has got the fungal infection?
it is a black Axolotl and im not sure of the gender, he is living on his own in a smallish tank and we will be collecting a bigger tank for it at the weekend so im going to get some new stuff for the tank that ive been reading about would wouldnt mind getting a filter but now sure of the right one as i know they dont want any high currents in the water!!

Again thank you for your help

look forward to hearing back from you

Thanks
Mickey :)

Could you post a photo of your axolotl with these 'dots' please Mickey as it may not be fungus.

Hiya

I will take a picture when i get home from work at 5 and post it on here for you

Thankyou

Mickey

my axolotl has white dots does it look like this?
Image002.jpg

Hiya im really sorry ive not been able to get a picture of the white dots yet but they defiantly are abnormal! hes got 2 on its head and a couple on his back but they wernt there before!
do you know how i do a salt bath?
Thanks

what you do get to table spoons of salt in a buket and let him bath in that for about 10 mins no longer his skin will get worse!:cool:

It's actually about 2-3 teaspoons per litre of water

:mad:oh sorry though it was to table spoons altogerther

Are these spots fluffy looking like cotton wool? Or do they just look like spots the size of a pin head?

Just for clarification.
Saltbath treatment is:
2-3 teaspoons of uniodised table salt/sea salt or aquarium/tonic salt per litre of dechlorinated water.
Make sure to dissolve the salt. If using the aquarium/chunky salt, crush it so it dissolves easier.
Then add your axolotl to the bath - s/he may find it a little irritating at first. Cover with lid. Ensure it stays in minimum of 10 minutes, but no longer than 15minutes.

Saltbaths need to be done twice a day during the week (or 3 times per day if able).

If fridging the axolotl make sure to put the saltbath in the fridge so it's the same temperature as it's fridging container to avoid fluctuating temperatures which can be just as stressful to the axie.

Empty the saltbath after each use and make up a fresh one each time.
You could also try picking the fungus off with tweezers if you feel confident enough to do so without harming your axolotl, a steady hand is needed though.
Continue with the saltbaths for around 4-5 days after all the fungus has dissapeared.

Am i doing everything right?

Becky,

Thank you so much for your advice and everyone else, i really appreciate it. im new to Axolotl's so i wana make sure my lil axwell is gunna be alright. he has hyper moments when he swims round his tank loads so does that sound like hes happy?

he still has the white dots on him literlly pin head spots - is that fungus?
i live in a hardened water area (in Peterborough) so i dont know if the water could make him ill as there is probebly alot of limescale and chlorine in it but i put the stress treatment (chlorine prention stuff) in when i change the water and give it a rinse out.

i have put a water stone in his (well when i say he im not sure what sex he is but i think its a boy for some reason) tank and he doesnt mind it at all.

what do you do with your axolotl how do you interact wth them becuase when i go near his tank he comes up close and stares at me for ages and its soo cute i wana hug him lol but i guess i cant!

i dont mean 2 sound soo clueless...but i am i jus want Axwell to be happy and your feeding me such great advice so i hope you dont mind me asking?

i have tried taking pictures but you cant see the dots well at all so i promise i havent forgotton.

Thank you
look forward to hearing from you
Mickey x

It was hard to see your axolotl's dots in the photo, if they look fluffy like cotton wool then it may well be fungus , gr33neyes advice is good to follow for the salt baths. However it seems like he is a golden albino from the photo so the white dots may well be part of his pigmentation...if you are able to take and post another photo it may help.
"i put the stress treatment (chlorine prention stuff) in when i change the water and give it a rinse out. " Not sure what you mean by this, are you treating the water you put into the tank with dechlorinator ? Has the tank cycled ? this may help.. www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm.

Mickey ask as many questions as you want, we won't think you're stupid. We would rather you asked then your axie gets sick. It does sound to me like markings.
My leucistic axolotl (white skin) has these pin prick bumps over her body too. They do tend to get all sorts of bumps and ridges on their bodies.

Hey Becky your a star thank you.

Well i have a few questions if thats alright please :)

What do you do/How do you interact with your Axolotl?
What is that sand at the bottom of your tank as i would like to use that too?
what do you feed your axolotl? i have been feeding it with the food iwas given with it which was dry worms n pellets.

Thanks i will probebly think of more but if you could help me that would be brilliant please :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back