Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: HELP my lottie has turned red!

bonsaidragon13

Reaction score
i got home from my holiday and my house mates had been looking after my 5 axolotl.

i got home to find both my golden axolotl and my albino axolotl have turend bright red, and i mean pillar box red!

im compltetly stumped as to what has happened to them they are both eating fine and are generally happy but they are both red

anyone got any ideas?

thanx

ferret_corner

Reaction score
You need to check your water parameters. I'm willing to be thats where the problem is. Unless your room mates thought it would be funny to dip them in kool aid.... lol

Sharon

bonsaidragon13

Reaction score
thanks but i change their water twice a week using a gravel pump to clean their rocks. i changed their water again today
as far as i can tell the water quality is fine, but thanks for the suggestion

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that their water needs to be checked for ammonia etc as soon as possible . In the mean time I would put them in clean dechlorinated water , and into the fridge as being bright red to me seems some what alarming! Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to advise us to what may be happening to them. Please keep us posted on any further updates.

bonsaidragon13

Reaction score
well using a kit i have for my fish (who are in a seperate tank lol) i checked the water quality and its fine.
Lurch and Zee are both red when they should be gold and white respectivly and they are both quite happy and eating.

kira

Reaction score
My god! That is the most bizarre thing that I have ever heard! :shocked:

Good luck with finding the answer! :eek:

I'd love to see a pic tho if possible

axyste

Reaction score
by the sounds of it he's got blood rush!and it goes after a few days my little albion had it for 6 days:wacko:it goes:D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'll admit I don't know everything about axolotls, but I've kept and bred them for a couple of years. I've never heard of 'blood rush'. Care to elaborate on this disease?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!