New to Newts (and salamanders)

slywlf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I moved to the NY Catskills fairly recently, and as a nature lover am truly in heaven. :happy:

Yesterday, however, I ran into a puzzle and my search for answers brought me here. There were some pieces of wood we had left on the ground for 6 months, and when we picked them up, along with the expected worms we found tiny (2 - 3 inches long) critters we could not identify. :errr:

They were the exact same reddish brown and slimy texture as the worms, but had wedge-shaped heads and four legs. Clearly we are dealing with either a type of newt or salamander, but I have been unable to find anything that exactly matches this description. :confused:

I picked one up to try to get a closer look, but it resisted so vigorously I put it down promptly to avoid damaging it. :angel:

I may be weird but I thought they were cute (I like worms & snakes and spiders too) and I would just like to know what manner of wriggler I have here. I've found red newts & yellow ones, but this is the first time I've ever seen ones that look just like worms with legs :cool:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Perhaps a redback salamander? Or a type of Dusky salamander?

And no, you're not weird for thinking they're cute. Everyone else is weird for NOT thinking they're cute!

Hi, I sort of live right across the river from you. If your yard is anything like my yard, it's a redback. Can you post a picture? And welcome to the forum!

Everyone else is weird for NOT thinking they're cute!

Kaysie, you are RIGHT ON!

I love living in Louisiana where my backyard is like a swamp. Its amphibian heaven.
I don't see many of the cute newt and salamander variations..but amphiumas come with the floods. They look like little sharks when they come up for air. :eek: Sometimes, I throw them earthworms just to watch them eat, but amphiumas definitely need their space!

What I am saying is, Im unfamiliar with the wildlife there, but amphiumas look like worms with legs, or even eels. And theyll bite the pee out of you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back