Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axie got heat stress?

robdut

Reaction score
i bought my axie about 1 mounth ago and my friend said he has heat stress is it actrully heat stress
P051008_1735.jpg
:confused:

kira

Reaction score
Heat stress? Well that depends on the temp of your tank. It is best to keep the temp in between 14C and 20C. I don't think that heat stress though.

Because your axie's gills are pionted forward that suggests that it might be stressed.
Check your water flow and water quality.

Good luck!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with that axolotl. The gills aren't THAT pointed foward (no more so than mine get once in a while).

But Kira is right about water flow and quality. These are important.

And you may want to think about reducing your substrate thickness. Is there a reason you have such a thick layer of sand?

IanF

Reaction score
That is a very nice looking Axolotl Robdut, like everyone's said "water flow and quality". Good luck with it.

robdut

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with that axolotl. The gills aren't THAT pointed foward (no more so than mine get once in a while).

But Kira is right about water flow and quality. These are important.

And you may want to think about reducing your substrate thickness. Is there a reason you have such a thick layer of sand?

No real reason for the thick layer of sand really, other than I was told to give about an inch or 2 from the guys at the aquarium, if you reckon I should reduce the amount I will happily do so.

Cost a bomb to get though, I guess thats probably why they said it (so they could grab every penny out of me:mad:)

cheers for all of the advice:D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I keep mine at about 1/2 inch or so. You don't really need more, and sometimes you can get waste and gas buildup within the sand layer. I suspect they were just milking you for money.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1