Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting into Newts

troyblunden

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a lot of experience with the full reptile spectrum with the exception of Amphibians. I had some Chinese Firebellies as a kid and then some tiger salamanders in college. I want to get into newts again. I am fascinated with these little guys. I want to get into keeping and breeding again. I am interested in the Mandarins/ Crocodiles, Euro Marbleds, and my favorites are the Luristan Newts, but want to wait on them until I gain more experience. My biggest obstacle is living in Florida and my wife not wanting "too many" in the house. A garage in Florida (where I can have as many as I want) gets way too hot in the summer.
Thanks in advanced for answering many pesky questions...
Troy

IanF

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the site. The only thing I could imagine you could do is find a newt that might be able to survive warm weather, however none come to mind that could handle Florida's weather. Your only other option would be spending a fortune on electricly cooling the tank.

troyblunden

Reaction score
Thanks Ian,
I can keep a small group (3-6) inside and will be making a purchase in the next week. But the garage sounds like it is out of the question.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!