Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do i make my axies gills grow longer?

Moomin

Reaction score
Hes a little deprived in th gill dept haha!
When he was little he had massivle long pink gills but they've become very short. (Not due to fungus or anything).

I was wondering if i could make thrm grow longer again?

IanF

Reaction score
An Axolotls gill length is mostly to do with genetics, if yours' got really short but it wasn't fungus or a disease, I'd say it is because your ammonia levels are too high. I'd check your water with a testing kit. Also it may have something to do with lack/too much oxygen in the water. Even if you got those things stabilised, there is still no garuntee they will grow back to their original size.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If axolotls are kept in adequate oxygen conditions, some of their gills may be reabsorbed because they don't need the extra oxygen exchange area. There really is no way to make them grow longer.

Moomin

Reaction score
He used to have long gills so it must be the water:S i tested it not long ago and it wasn't bad. I'll do a water change anyway. I'd be happy of the colour back to be honest lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1