Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange axy poo??????

indicakush

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a new owner to a lovely axolotl named Xavier, tonight when i was going to bed i went to check he was ok, I then noticed he has done an enormous long brown poo :eek:.... I have only seen two other poo's of his which looked like a small brown football (had him 3 weeks now) .
So i am unsure if he was constipated and has now relieved himself or if this is something more drastic.
My tank is currently cycling with him in it, i know this isn't the best conditions but it's all i could do.
Water temp is cold.
He is eating small chunks of meat, beefheart and whitebait cut up...
Otherwise he looks healthy and happy.....

If anyone could give me any insight i'd be very grateful..

Kind regards :p

theplumz

Reaction score
Please dont worry about long brown poo our axies poo varies in length but is always long and brown or black. I only ever worry if it is very loose and breaks up as soon they have done it.
Al our axolotls are healthy, happy and enjoy life so i really advise you not to stress to much
love Becca xxxx

kira

Reaction score
I think he will be ok. My axies do very large, hard poos sometimes. I think that it is because I have feed them too much or something like that...

indicakush

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! :D I feel better now, I guess it was just a shock to see something so big come from something so small :p...

faerieswings

Reaction score
Please dont worry about long brown poo our axies poo varies in length but is always long and brown or black. I only ever worry if it is very loose and breaks up as soon they have done it.
Al our axolotls are healthy, happy and enjoy life so i really advise you not to stress to much
love Becca xxxx

um i just looked at 1 of my axies, he was pooing but it's colour was more red then brown?
is this normal?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
um i just looked at 1 of my axies, he was pooing but it's colour was more red then brown?
is this normal?
What has it eaten in the past week or two? If it ate bloodworms, then this color could be from the food, though it may suggest incomplete digestion.

faerieswings

Reaction score
What has it eaten in the past week or two? If it ate bloodworms, then this color could be from the food, though it may suggest incomplete digestion.

i only give my axolotls rainworms but ill keep an eye on them :)
they dont look to well at the moment so im gonna get them out of the aquarium and put them in a smaller tank with fresh water and clean the big aquarium, i dont know if they have fungus :( i cant really see, i do see some white colour on them but i will post some pictures as soon as i can make photo's, also theyre gills get smaller :( and 1 cant stear anymore so she's not going straith but keeps circling around also upsidedown..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1