Question: Plants

cherryscented

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Alice
I was just wondering if it is a good idea to have live plants in aquarium with axies? I have read that it can damage gills, but a lot of people seem to put them in the tanks? what do you guys think? If i do put in plants which ones would you recommend?
Thanx :happy:

Sometimes plants are good, other times they are not.
It's best to get plants that do not require as much sunlight because axolotls can get stressed by light.
I put in hairgrass, because it doesn't need that much light and it's not pointy or sore for the 'lotls to sit on.
Always make sure you wash your plant very carefully before it goes into the tank - sometimes there are snails hiding in there.

I'd never heard of plants damaging an axolotls gills? At least not the common aquarium plants available to most aqaurists?

I watched an axolotl plunge through a thick planted stand of naja grass and he came through unscathed. Some of the grass was displaced though.

Marimo moss balls - extremely soft and the axolotls look cute perched on top of them.

Sharon

My axies love their plants, although they do have a tendency to eat certain types! I've often found my axies love to climb about on the sturdier species of weed... so cute!! I would also advise getting floating plants if you are not filling your tank up fully as it gives a really pretty look to the surface of the tank. Just make sure you don't get any toxic plants and that you eliminate any chlorine that might be on your weeds :D

Java moss, Java Fern and anubias are a good choice for an axolotl tank. They require little light, will grow on almost anything and the fern and anubias produce their own babies so you have a never ending supply.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back