Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finally out of water!

arienette

Reaction score
My last remaining little warty has finally ventured onto land. It's been a long struggle as some of you may remember with two escapees during metamorphosis, but this guy is alive now, and that's what counts.

Here he is:
picture.php

picture.php

He's in a 2.5 gallon tank with compressed coco husk substrate (eco-earth) and some hides. Is a shallow water dish necessary? I think dusted fruit flies would be good to start him on. Should I feed now or wait a day or two until he is settled on land?

Any other suggestions appreciated, and a big thank you to all those who helped get me this far.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would give him a little time before you start feeding him. Drosophila should be a good food for him, but try slowing them down a bit by puting them in the fridge first. Tiny earthworms are also quite good food for them, as are white worms and live bloodworms offered on a moist paper towel.
Good luck!

arienette

Reaction score
Leaving the flies in the fridge for a little while is a good idea, and so is putting blood worms on a moist paper towel. He's only been fed blood worms, so I'll keep his diet the same for now so he's not so stressed out from the morph. Thanks, your comment helped a lot!

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
That is a lovely little Paramesotriton! Congratulations! I also would suggest to give him white dwarf isopods.

arienette

Reaction score
Update 5/22/09

Hello everyone.

I thought post in this thread with some updates on the little guy. He's doing great! He actually changed quite a bit since the first out of water photo was taken of him. His head has become square, he has some lateral ribbing on his abdomen, and is basically shaping up to be a fine looking member of the Paramesotrition genus! He's keeping cool in the basement right now but will soon have a wine chiller to call home in the frog room.

When should be he returned to the water? It's been over a year since he hatched, and roughly 8-9 months since he came onto land (time flies!). Could someone tell me how to know if he is ready to be in water and what kind of set up I should have him in while he is transitioning? I sort of have an idea of what to do, but I don't want to run the risk of drowning him...I've come too far to make any more stupid mistakes with him. I can't seem to find any information on the husbandry aspect of land-to-water metamorphosis, so any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Andrea

Ralf

Reaction score
AW: Finally out of water!

Hi Andrea,
your newt may be ready to enter the water again. Some species and individuals will adapt to the water after a year since metamorphosis. However, this not only depends on age but also on size. In a batch of juveniles the bigger ones usually become aquatic earlier. This is just anectdotal though and I cannot back it up with any data.
Here is a method that has worked for me a couple of times. Put a shallow dish with about 1/2 inch of water in your setup. Also put some small rocks or pebbles in it which break the water surface. This will allow your newt to climb on and minimize the risk of drowning but also provide some cover as these newts often are quite secretive and do not like to move in the open. Upper edge of the dish should be level with the substrate of your setup. Edges should still allow your newt to climb out. Make sure that the water dish is visible from outside your setup/container. Change the water in the dish from time to time to keep it fresh and clean.
Check frequently and also at night with a flashlight. If you see the newt in the dish and it is fully submerged it may be transferred to a more aquatic setup with an inch of water and lots of plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!