Fungus in a Terrarium.

IanF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ian Faux
So I'm setting up my first time terrarium, still got some adjusting to do (more substrate and making a gradient, adding plants, etc) but I've just noticed Fungus on some of the objects (mostly rocks) which I previously had sterilised in boiling water. Also the tank stinks all ready... I'm very worried as I need to sort this out before Thursday. Any ideas, should I just redo everything.

I find that a new viv tends to get a bit mouldy for a few days after setting up, particularly over wood. It usually settles down and goes away after that.

What does it smell like? Mine tend to smell pleasantly of damp woodland.

If it's gut wrenchingly sickening I'ld suspect that there's something dead in there.

It's not bad, just smells like damp wood. I've got rid of the fungus... but I'm not sure thats the problem over. I'm still to add more stuff like I said but I'm hoping it'll stabilise by Thursday. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Ian

As has already be mentioned, mould can grow quite quickly in a few days, all to do with being stirred about, damp conditions and humudity.

How much airflow have youi got in the viv, as you want a balance between keeping it moist, but not letting the air get stale, i find its better to have a bit more ventilation and have to spray the viv every couple of days as opposed to letting it get stale and having it too humid.

Ben

Does it help to add 'clean up crew' like woodlice or springtails? I know this technique is used by Mantella and dartfrog keepers..

It's not well ventilated, but I think I might change that and just spray it more often like Benw suggested. Also I'll switch the wood in the tank for some cork or something. Would you recommend making a moisture gradient, does this work well?

This is a very quick pic taken this morning of one of the vivs with Fire salamanders in showing the vents, which are 50mm round stainless steel guaze.

The electric fan in the centre is used to cool in the summer, but does assist in air flow, i dont think you need to go down this road though, but you get the idea, there is another vent behind the wood pile.

Ben

sorry, forgot the pic!!!

Attachments

• P1010568.jpg
    P1010568.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 8,826
Ian,
I have found that a moisture gradient doesn't help very much, at least not in any of my dart frog tanks. Besides adequate ventilation, the next best thing would be springtails. Do you know what type of wood if any you are going to be using, there are some that tend to get disgustingly moldy.

Later,
Justin

I saw already two times springtials standing,and have to say that those are a very good option!
They ate the fungus and if they are with enough,it's going very fast also.
Petro

Does it help to add 'clean up crew' like woodlice or springtails?

I think this would help, as already mentioned with the springtails. Additionally, this will be food for the new inhabitants.

Ian: What species do you want to keep in the terrarium?

Thats a very complicated question, which I might explain in a blog for those who care. Basically it's going to have to be a tiger salamander.... thought it was going to be a Fire salamander but then everything got all confused and the shop I ordered it from offered me a Tiger Sal instead. So the set up is for a Tiger Salamander.

So it was not a complicated question,but complicated to answer.:kill:
The tiger is a big one and the change that they ate the springtails(is n't
very big:D)is very little.
But the sprintails are not dangerous for them,so that will not be a problem.
It's not getting a explotion off springtails you get,because when there is
nothing to eat anymore they wil not multiply.

I keep my mossy frogs in a paludarium.

The wood got very mouldy for a few days and then it went away. It takes a little while for things to stabilize.

The one thing that it will not do is grow moss. Grrrrrr:mad:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back