Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terrestrial sources of Carotene

A

achiinto

After some discussion about carotene and the red-belly in this thread, http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57656, this reminded me of the stages which my newts went through and made me wonder how I can enhance the diet to include more carotene. I fed my newts with brine shrimp during the larvae stage. As they nearly going to metamorphs, I started hand feeding them with bloodworms. Then after they metamorphed, I continued to feed the newts with bloodworm, occasionally diced earthworm, springtails, fruit flies. Then when they became fully aquatic after 1 year on land, I started feeding them mostly earthworm with an occasional bloodworm meal.

My guess is that brine shrimp will be a source of carotene. So, maybe the bloodworm and the earthworm diet were introduced too early in the diet for the newts to grow red belly. The easiest way probably is to feed them with Daphnia during both period before and after metamorph.

Anyone know if there is a good source of carotene for terrestrial morphs, other than putting a dish of Daphnia in terrestrial setup or keep the newts in fully aquatic setup at all time?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could gut load crickets with a fish flake high in carotene such as cyclop-eeze. Feed them 24hrs before you offer to the newts. Another option would be to dust prey items with supplements containing carotenoids - such as this.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Well, I am currently investigating the possibility of culturing land shrimp(Taltritus sp.)...which are basically terrestrial amphipods. Not sure if they'd have the carotenes their aquatic cousins do.

Axel01

Reaction score
I believe that They pick up the carotenoids in their diet.

Most of the aquatic crustacea will get them from a diet that has algae rich in the desired pigments.

A

achiinto

Thanks, I guess the challenge is to gut load Carotene into very small terrestrial based invertebrate so that the juvenile newt will take them. In the case of handfeeding bloodworm or earthworm pieces, dusting them with commercial Carotene might be the best solution.

Axel01

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea.

I've a feeling that the redness of bloodworm and earthworms is down to oxygen carrying haem based proteins.

There may be a PhD in there somewhere.

josh

Reaction score
this is what i as well as many others use for poison dart frogs. http://www.naturose.com/ i also use it for my salamanders. it seems to work well. you would just dust your feeder insects with it and feed like normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1