Question: Longtoed Salamander Feeding

hcq33

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
hcq33
My little tiny, newly morphed salamander is eating very well, however I don't know how often or how much to feed him. I have been giving him cut up (very small) pieces of earthworm. He likes them a lot, however he is so very small, I don't want to over feed him. Any ideas?
Heather
2971126464_f5a0771d1d.jpg

You could probably feed him three or four times a week, depending on how much he'll take. I think your best bet would be to feed him until he refuses to take anymore. He looks great!

Good Luck!:D

Thanks, I got a video of him eating a small piece of worm today! So comical!! I will try and download it later; maybe next weekend, running out of time this weekend.
Heather

What a CUTIE!! I love their tiny bodies and enormous heads.

Thanks for the post, he is cute huh! If you think he looks funny now, you should see him eat! It sort of reminds me of a shark feeding frenzy (even though he eats alone). My mother laughed when I made the shark remark and then she said, "Isn’t your salamander left over from the dinosaurs? Maybe that is why he eats so ferociously!"

At this age, there is really no danger of overfeeding. If he is willing to eat every day, I would say feed him every day, or as close to that as you are able to manage. His soil substrate looks to be a bit on the very-wet side. As he gets well beyond the metamorph stage, you should probably cut back on the wetness.

He's very cute! I look forward to the video!

Jennewt, you said there is no danger in over feeding. Does this mean that when they are no longer hungry they will stop eating? That would be nice, becuase they both seem to want to eat all the time. I have heard that some salamanders get used to "begging" for food when people walk into the room or past their cage. I didn't want to over feed. They seem so small for the amount they seem to want to consume!:wacko: Thanks for the great advice everyone. It has been so helpful.

Jennewt, you said there is no danger in over feeding. Does this mean that when they are no longer hungry they will stop eating? That would be nice, becuase they both seem to want to eat all the time. I have heard that some salamanders get used to "begging" for food when people walk into the room or past their cage. .

My longtoed salamanders always stop eating when they're full. They will associate you with food if you feed them by hand or with tweezers.

My longtoed salamanders always stop eating when they're full. They will associate you with food if you feed them by hand or with tweezers.

They definitely will: my little long-toed used to stand up on his hind legs and beg for food. Good luck with them!

They were almost standing on their (long) toes tonight. I opened up the lid and two different sets of eyes were looking right at me, "Bring on dinner!" I could hear them saying!:p

They stopped eating today! I think they are finally full. I was getting worried, sort of. I will have pics soon.:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back