ID please

ali000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help identify what this is.
My daughter found it in the alley last night, she thought it was a lizard but i'm fairly certain it's a newt.... any ideas

Attachments

• DSCF3001.jpg
    DSCF3001.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 126
Thank you, although I must say it doesn't seem very keen on water!

Hi there,

You have what would appear to be an adult female Lissotriton - either L. vulgaris (Smooth Newt) or L. helveticus (Palmate Newt). If you look at it's throat - female Smooth Newts usually have a spotted throat, while female Palmate Newts usually lack spots. Another good thing to look for is the background colour of the throat. In Smooth Newts it is the same colour as the rest of the ventrum. In Palmate Newts the throat area tends to be somewhat pinkish when compared to the rest of the ventrum. Those are just a couple of things, but they should hopefully garner you a quick identification.

As far as water goes, in the wild both of the aforementioned species will have left the water by this time of the year (they only become aquatic for the breeding season, living a terrestrial lifestyle otherwise). In captivity they can sometimes be persuaded to stay mainly aquatic year round, but if this individual is not keen on being in water I would recommend moving it to a terrestrial setup. Alternatively, you could place it back in the alley.

Cheers!

Liam.

Judging by the texture of the skin, this newt is in its terrestrial phase and shouldn't want to be in water at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back