Feeding (once again)

IanF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ian Faux
Well here I am with another feeding related question, hopefully you'll understand I just want to clarify what I've been reading on all these caresheets. Here's my question - How much is too much?
I've noticed Tiger Salamanders have the tendancy to become obese due to over feeding, and I wouldn't want to make that mistake. Keeping in mind he's a Juvenile (about 5 inches from head to tip of tail) that he's probably recently metamorphosised, he's eaten one 3 inch red/earth worm each day. Although today he's eaten two (about the same length as the others) in a short period of time.
Is this too much? Too little? Should I cut them up more so he can better digest them? I realise I need to vary his diet abit more but I've not gotten a chance and I'm pretty sure a week of worms won't do him harm. Thanks for any replies.

Does the salamander look obesely fat? If not, then you're probably not feeding too much. If it looks too skinny, you're not feeding enough. Tigers are 'thick bodied' anyway. But it's all fairly temperature dependent.

The tempature ranges from 18C to 19C, and he has gained weight since I first got him, but he was very skinny. If it's a matter of visually assessing if he's over eating, then I'd say he looks normal, mabey even abit thin.

And growing animals usually need more food than adults. I'd say keep feeding him the way you have been.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back