Can you recommend a good aquatic?

Aquatic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been working with axolotls for about 3 years now. I have raised a few clutches from my original pair, and was looking towards diversifying into other aquatics. What else is out there that has similar care to an axolotl? I was leaning towards Spanish ribbed newts, but I really have not seriously explored what else is out there? What can you all recommend?

There are the "new" axolotls, Ambystoma andersoni. I don't know if there are any for sale right now, but they will probably become commonplace within a few years. Ribbed newts are a good choice for a fully aquatic species.

Would you want the species to be aquatic for all of its life cycle (i.e., would you be expecting to raise young some day)? And do you care about whether it's available captive-bred vs. WC?

Though there not entirely aquatic, I would have to suggest chinese fire belly newts. Also I have had good luck with red spotted newts. As for fully aquatic you cant get much cooler or easy to keep than paddle tailed newts.:happy:

The larger fully aquatics (Siren, Necturus, Pseudobranchus, and Amphiuma) are another choice. Although if you are interested in CB individuals it may be more difficult to find them for sale. I have seen some Pseudobranchus CB though recently, you should check out Caudata Culuture for these genera.

This site has that new axolotl species for sale kinda spending. They also have dwarf sirens and just sold out their lesser sirens. About a week before I went to order one, now I cant find anywhere else that has lesser sirens for sale. http://www.reptilesncritters.com/salamanders.php

I recommend a bit of time on Caudata Culture's species pages....that is where I go when I need to talk the wife into a new addition to the zoo...;)

I enjoy aquatics quite a bit, especially since this year I went from strictly neotenics to actual newts. I really enjoy my Cynops! (even though they are currently in their terrestrial age)

C.B. Ambystoma andersoni are similar to axolotls but a little larger and a little more expensive. My larvae are on blackworms right now and will be ready to find new homes in September. Here's a picture of some adults. Their care is nearly identical to axolotls.

Attachments

• Aand3.jpg
    Aand3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 650
Eastern newts, or Notophthalmus viridescens are generally aquatic. As with paddletail newts that someone else recommended, you do need SOME land for them, but I've had several in the past there were 100% aquatic and NEVER came out of the water. They're a bit smaller than other species, and You can normally keep 3 or 4 of them in a 10 gallon. They're also very active, and have great personalities.

I hope you meant eastern newts when you said they were small and 4 could fit in a ten gallon becuase that is certainly not true about paddletails. They average 6-7 inches, can grow bigger though, I believe, and are territorial, aggressive newts. Read the CC article:
http://caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

Seconded on Pleurodeles. They do fine completely aquatic.

These look very similar to Ambystoma mexicanum, do they originate in the same lake.

They do not come from the same lake, but I believe not to far from each other. Both come from mexico.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back