help me sex my T. kweichowensis

troyblunden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,
I am trying to figure out the sex of my newly acquired T. kweichowensis, Here are some pics. These are my first newts in a long time. Thanks for you help.

Attachments

• DSCN1415.jpg
    DSCN1415.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 6,881
  • DSCN1419.jpg
    DSCN1419.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,886
  • DSCN1422.jpg
    DSCN1422.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,236
  • DSCN1427.jpg
    DSCN1427.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,531
AW: help me sex my T. kweichowensis

Hello,

picture 1 and 2 shows females, picture 3 shows a male.

Good luck with this fair and beautiful animals.

Greetings Ingo V.

This was my guess to, I wanted to confirm w/ you professionals out there. Thanks!
Troy
If anyone disagrees, feel free to say so.

What criteria did you use to sex them? I'm not sure my guess would have been the same as yours. In Tylototriton if you see a volcano shaped bulge at the cloaca it's a female. The males don't have a bulge and the slit is a little longer at the cloaca. It's tough to see what the bulge looks like in the 3rd picture. I can't always get it from a quick look but to me it looks like 1 and 2 are males and 3 is a female. Sexing is much easier when the animals are in prime breeding condition.

I would say number 1 and 2 are males and number 3 is a female

"In Tylototriton if you see a volcano shaped bulge at the cloaca it's a female."
Basing it on that, pic 3's cloaca is much more volcano shaped than the others.
I based it on my naiveness- I had thought the male would have the "swollen" cloaca. I am glad to be wrong and corrected! Thanks,
Pic 3, the female, is very inactive, she has come out of hiding twice in the last 1.5 weeks. The other two are out all the time, swimming, climbing, etc.... should this worry me? she did come out and eat today...

I would say pic one is a male and pic three is a female. Pic two is difficult for me to determine. In my experience T. kweichowensis are very outgoing overall however there are some individual personalities in a given group, with some being more shy than others. As long as everyone is feeding, appears healthy, and plenty of room and cover are provided I would not worry.
Chip

100% sure pic 3 is female and pic 2 99% is male.

thank you

I think Ingo is right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back