Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

how to keep baby axolotls alive!?

amberdoodle

Reaction score
hello all,

our axolotls have had their second lot of eggs :D, the first lot were unsuccessful, they died :( we are new to this and could do with some advice, experience or guidance on a few issues.

it is day 15 and approx 4 have hatched and seem healthy and are swmming around. there are about another 200 eggs that seem to be healthy too, wriggling around. we have taken out the eggs that did not develop properly.

we have just purchased an artemia breeding kit which we intend to use for breeding daphnia to feed them with.

So any help, advice or experience would be massively appreciated on the following..........

how often and how much should they be fed?
what is the best way of keeping the water safe?
when should they move from their small plastic tank to a larger one?
and anything else you think we should know?

Thanks x

kira

Reaction score
I have no experience with breeding whats so ever, however no one else has answered you, so I will try to help.

The following webpage is all about breeding:
http://www.axolotl.org/breeding.htm

Sorry thats the best I can do. Like I said, I have no experience.

Hope this helps a little :eek:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An artemia breeding kit is for hatching brine shrimp eggs. It won't work for daphnia.

Let's start with the right-now questions. What kind of container are you using for the eggs? How are you keeping the water (i.e., water changes, etc). What is your water source (tap water?), do you add a dechlorinating product (which one?), and is your local water hard or soft?

Did you read the articles that I linked for you in my response to your other thread? Those should at least get you started on the "what else should we know" question.

pjtaylor

Reaction score
Just read these links, very helpful. Will be getting some eggs tomorrow, I feel a lot more confident about what I am doing now I have read these.:happy:

TheDoyel

Reaction score
One thing you really need to focus on is how to feed the little buggers. They really do tend to eat a lot and you don't want to run out. Make sure you "practice" before hand with raising food (daphnia and brine). I know axolotl.org has a lot of info, as well and the needed links back to this site.

Once the little guys (and girls!) have their front legs fully developed you can take a bit of a breather. They eat just about anything that fits into their mouth and are quite hardy. Make sure you keep them separate or name one might go Hannibal Lecter on another.

Have fun! I must admit I am insanely jealous. I haven't been able to find my Goblin a girl yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1