Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus macedonicus

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed light on Triturus macedonicus?

It appears as a species on Amphibiaweb but with no photos or accounts. The AMNH has it down as a valid species since 2007.

It’s short taxonomic history associates it with both karelinii and carnifex but now it appears as a species in it’s own right.

caleb

Reaction score
Re: Triturus macedonicus - New species?

This paper suggested it:

Arntzen et al, 2007. "The phylogeny of crested newts (Triturus cristatus superspecies): nuclear and mitochondrial genetic characters suggest a hard polytomy, in line with the paleogeography of the centre
of origin" Contributions to Zoology, 76 (4) 261-278

You should be able to get it here:
http://dpc.uba.uva.nl/cgi/t/text/get-pdf?c=ctz;idno=7604a05

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score

Awesome! They look so simaliar to the other crested newts, but still they have thier own physical presentation. I would love to see more of these around.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks Caleb, that’s a very interesting paper (although much of the genetic analysis goes over my head :rolleyes:). It’s the fist time I’ve seen the theory that body length directly relates to the length of the aquatic phase.

So T. macedonicus was originally classed as a sub-species of carnifex but there’s a large enough genetic, morphological and geographical difference to suggest it’s a species; comparable to the difference between pygmaeus and marmoratus.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Wow, I hadn't heard of it being a species.

coendeurloo

Reaction score

The length-aquatic phase relation is interesting indeed Mark, it could explain why the 'long' T. dobrogicus can be kept aquatic all year round with relative ease.

will_j

Salamandra Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting. I hadn't even heard any rumours on a split for this species. I had expected the next "Triturus" split to be with L. bosaci. But that's a different story.

eldaldo

Reaction score
I feel it's pretty common to keep much shorter newts such as alpines aquatic all year round in captivity. Maybe the body length vs aquatic phase doesn't apply for captive care, but only in nature. has anyone else noticed this? I feel that it is in fact very common for us to keep captive bred newts in drastically different conditions and environmentsh than their natural ones and they seem to be fine with it. I wonder if a couple of generations of captive breeding allow for this? What do others think?

I don't have time right now, but would like to read the paper. It sounds interesting to me as a biologist.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!