Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese Fire Belly Newts.

Shadow

Reaction score
Right here are some pics of my 35L tank.
DSC00330.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

How would you think a CFBN handle in there? I know it would need land part so yeah.

P.S Notice how bad the tank looks without the light on.:happy:

oregon newt

Reaction score
Is that an incandescent light? I would also get rid of the heater. Netws and heat does not mix. You wouldn't necessarily need a land area.

Neuter

Reaction score
You may not technically need to have at least a small land area for it, but everything I've read said they will be much happier if you have one. I just set up a new tank for fire bellys and while they spend most of their time lounging on plants in water, they always spend a little time on the land also.

Even if it is a little rock coming out of the water. You could try putting a stick in there which leans into a corner as long as it is firm enough to not fall over. A small pot might work. A floating lillypad will work also.

Fire bellys like it cold, as said above, a heater is bad. Regular temperatures of 74 degrees or higher will kill them, stick closer to 70, or 66 or 67 if you can.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1