Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Waxworms/Waxmoth larvae How many?

newtons13

Reaction score
My remaining Rough Skinned Newts are (guessing) about 1 yr old or so, and about 5 or so inches long. They usually get 1 block each of frozen blood worms, and eat it right up, about 1-2 times per week.

How many waxworms do i give in one feeding?

Rachel

ps: one of them just gobbled it right up! :D

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They've been in captivity for a year, but there is probably no way to know their age. They could be 40.

If they aren't obese, I'd give them as much as they want at a feeding. However, I wouldn't feed them waxworms too often - just occasionally. Neither bloodworms nor waxworms are a good source of calcium or vitamin D. You might want to consider feeding them earthworms or nightcrawlers. If you feed them on land, the waxworms could be dusted for better nutrition, but I expect you feed them in water?

newtons13

Reaction score
Whoa! I can't believe I've been so busy, as not to check back sooner. Yeah, i guess I have no way of knowing how old they are. Their life spans are, like, 20 years right? not 40??? I expected my cat would be my longest pet. LOL!

Thank you for the food advice. They are not obese, they might have been when they were getting fed 3x weekly a whole cube of bloodworms each time. But due to time constraints (and admittedly some laziness) they are getting fed 1-2 times per week. This is okay, yes?

Ahhh...calcium, I remember that from when I had a snake, but I fed him live food, and had good natural lighting (I lived in california), so it wasn't a big deal. When i feed them waxworms it is actually in dry dishes. I could dust them...But most of the waxworms died, or turned brown and yucky before they could finish them, so I've gone back to frozen bloodworms. What can I do to get more calcium in them but still feed them this? I don't know where I'd get the other worms.

Thanks again, I look forward to more knowledge. = )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1