water too hot!!! How to cool???

satinbaby

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi im a little worried im a new keeper of my paddletailed newt Niddy and my water has climbed to 27c im very concerned as i m sure the water should be 17c???

How can i reduce the temp safely???

I have turned the light off im going to turn the heating off in the room too, i cant turn the housse heating off as we have a baby.

the tank has water three quarters full with sand filter ad plants and hidy places

Hes on his own in there.

Cheers Satin xxx

The tank is 30 litres if i remember xx

If this is a temporary problem, and you just need the water to get cooler I'd recommend putting a frozen bottle of water in your tank. That's probably the cheapest, easiest method.

If you have a continual problem with your temperature, there are aquarium chillers you can purchase.

Thankyou everyone!! I will take a look at the link too xxx

Re: Where can i buy an aquarium Chiller/cooler

Hi all does anyone know what type of aquarium chiller /cooler i need fr Niddy my newt the temp is still too high and hes not happy because of the baby i cannot make the house any cooler.

The tank he is in is 28 litres water.

Cheers guys.

Re: Where can i buy an aquarium Chiller/cooler

Is there something in the tank that is heating the water hotter than the air? Even with a baby, you can't possibly be keeping your house 27C! The answer may be to get rid of the filter if that's heating the water. Also, getting a screen lid can help a lot. I really doubt that you need a chiller. For less than the cost of a chiller, you could completely replace the setup and equipment with a setup that stays cool on its own (no light, no power filter, use a sceen lid, etc).

Like Jennewt said, I doubt your house is that warm, so something must be heating the water. Is your tank positioned just above a radiator, or in direct sunlight? Also you could try to fit a fan above a screen lead to bost evaporation. You will have to change/top up the water more often, but you can easily lose a couple of degrees like that...

No its not heating the water its electrical but its fine he is on my second floor of our house as we have 2 fish tanks downstairs so no room down there and its a new build my house thermometer reads 25 today!!
There is no sunlight or radiator i have turned the radiator off in this room. The ceiling an is on alot.

I dont know aht a else to do!!

Any ideas on a chiller? x

Mmm, besides the link was provided to give you a couple of methods of cooling water (I haven't personally checked it out yet) but I just thought that I'd ask what type of thermometer do you use to monitor your water temperature?
Is there any chance that the thermometer may be faulty?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back