Marsilea quadrifolia (Four leaf clover plant)

Gingrich

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Oskar
I've been looking at this plant for awhile and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it in a newt aquarium. I also want to know how hardy it is and if it needs special fertilizers or substrate. It hear it is also low-light which is good. Anyway, I'd appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• Marsilea quadrifolia.jpg
    Marsilea quadrifolia.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 49,018
  • MI999-0.jpg
    MI999-0.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 9,341
Last edited:
On the picture is Glossostigma elatinoides, isn't it?

It looks like in submersed form Marsilea is looking a bit different than in emersed (four-leaved).

Submerse Marsilea growth is much smaller and stiffer than emerse. I haven't tried quadrifolia, but have grown drummondii. It doesn't require anything special to grow, but it is very slow and is easily overtaken by algae. One trick that a few people use is to let it grow emerse in good light first (because it's faster) and then graduall submerge it, removing the emerse leaves when they start going yellow.

it all depends on the species. do a little research and you will find there are a few species available. one thing i find interesting about marsilea (mutica i believe) is it is cold hardy. i once found it growing at 7000 ft in elevation near strawberry arizona. it gets to be subzero temps there. the stuff is growing strong year after year. so it is a good candidate for the caudate viv in my opinion. check out this link. it says tolerant of temps below 15 degrees

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=636

-josh

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back