Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt Found on trail

Aardvark

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum to post this in. My daughter and I were hiking San Mateo county, California, near the coast. We were on one of the trails when we spotted this little guy walking along the trail, too. I got down on the ground and shot a bunch of photos (one of which ought to be below, if I figured out the attachment feature right). He posed so nicely!

I had no idea what sort of a newt or salamander he was... but I have since looked online and I think that he is either a Taricha granulosa; Rough-skinned Newt or a Taricha torosa; California Newt. I found this forum and registered in the hope that someone could help me identify him. Of course I never dreamed of touching him... and I am glad I am not prone to doing things like that. Both of those species are supposed to be chock full of tetrodotoxin. :eek: His body was the length of my palm plus one finger joint, if I don't include his tail.

Anyway, weather conditions were quite typical for this time of year in this microclimate. We had a big rainstorm a week ago, and it was drizzly yesterday, high winds and intermittant blowing fog today, although no more rain. The ground is not yet saturated. It was the sort of weather that made you feel bad for Gaspar de Portolá's expedition. :D (They arrived on this site in early November 1769.)

Any help in identifying this little guy would be much appreciated. And I apologize if this is not the right place to post this.

Regards,
Aardvark

Attachments

• OrangeBlackNewt.jpg
    OrangeBlackNewt.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 420
Last edited by a moderator:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Re: Newt Found on trail at Sweeney Ridge, CA

Well it's definitely Taricha but which one I couldn't tell ya. Do you have anymore pictures from different angles? I know that wasn't much help.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

My guess would be a dark T. granulosa.

Aardvark

Reaction score

I'm attaching a few more photos below. I actually zoomed and cropped 5... let's see how many I can fit. ;)

Aardvark

Well it's definitely Taricha but which one I couldn't tell ya. Do you have anymore pictures from different angles? I know that wasn't much help.

Attachments

• OrangeBlackNewt2.jpg
    OrangeBlackNewt2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 271
  • OrangeBlackNewt3.jpg
    OrangeBlackNewt3.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 283
  • OrangeBlackNewt4.jpg
    OrangeBlackNewt4.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 274

Aardvark

Reaction score
Well I couldn't get all photos attached to that last message, so here's the last one. I really zoomed in on his face.

Aardvark

Attachments

• OrangeBlackNewt5.jpg
    OrangeBlackNewt5.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 289

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The dark under-eye gives it away as a T. granulosa. T. torosa has a light under-eye, and T. rivularis has dark eyeballs.

Aardvark

Reaction score
Thank you!

I very much appreciate your help. (And sorry if I was too specific about the location.)

Aardvark

The dark under-eye gives it away as a T. granulosa. T. torosa has a light under-eye, and T. rivularis has dark eyeballs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1