Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Gills Changed Colour

Livette

Reaction score
I have a black axolotl who recently had a strange colour change - his skin has stayed black, but the feathery bits on his gills have turned cherry red. Oddly enough, they turned the same shade as my own hair! i've heard that owners buy pets that look like them, but a pet changing colour to look like its owner is a new one on me.

any ideas what's going on here? they've been red for 2 days now. they look quite pretty, and he doesn't seem distressed at all - eating well, tank temp is fine, etc.

Thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The gills will change color depending on what's going on. If they're excited, active, feeding, or warm, the gills will be brighter than normal due to increased oxygen demand.

Livette

Reaction score
To the point where black gills go red? for a couple of days? like i said he doesn't seem distressed at all, but just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something important.

Thanks for the quick reply!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!