Bare Bottom Tank

Greewok

Reaction score
Country
United States
I gave it go for a group of adult paddle tails I have, but they just don't seem to like it. I have noticed they spend a lot less time on the bottom than before, when I had sand substrate. I will be switching back this weekend to sand or possibly a larger rock/gravel mix. One thing that I find amusing is the lack of traction they have. The big girls like to hang out in the higher flow area of the tank. When they try to move away, they slide like they are on ice :eek:

All of my tanks are bare bottomed, except for the Pachytriton tank. I have read several places on this forum that this genus prefers to hide in rock crevices versus plants, and I have found this to be true with my paddletails as well. Since their natural habitat is swift flowing streams, I bet they have more rocks and sandy bottoms than plant hides, anyway.
The rocks sure make it more difficult for me to keep the tank as debris-free as I would like, but if thats what the newts like, thats what the newts will get! I have never noticed a problem in my other species tanks with traction, but none of the other tanks have a current, either. Hope your newts appreciate your time and effort all in the name of their comfort,
Heather

Thanks, going to take a look at some larger red flint tomorrow. It's going to be a pain, but I do think they will be happier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back