T.dobrogicus FINALLY!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
So i went to feed my T.dobrogicus this morning and as usual checked on the male to see if there were any changes. Since the temps have dropped, it has grown the tinniest most ridiculous crest xD, and has started to colour up a bit. So every day i check on him to see if the crest has grown or the colours have changed.
This morning when i checked i saw his cloaca was looking larger than usual(which is completely flat).
A few hours later and i see something moving in the aquarium....and to my surprise the male is displaying breeding behaviour! My first thought was to not get excited because they´ve done that before over food so it was probably nothing. But i took a closer look and well.....it´s definitely courtship hehe. His cloaca was fully open and ready, and he´s been following her and courting for a couple of hours.
I´m sorry to create a thread just for something so trivial, but i´ve been waiting for these two to at least attempt to breed for quite some time. The male had failed to grow a crest twice and the female had laid infertile eggs once, so i was starting to get a bit desperate :p

Anyway here is a very short clip that proofs i´m not dreaming xDD
Sorry for the quality...it´s horrible...but the glass was dirty and my camera just can´t do better.

Aaaaand......i got eggs :)
8 so far, two of them succumbed to fungus. It´s too early to know if they are even fertile, but i´m optimistic.....

Well done good luck with the eggs.

Thanx!
They are fertile! i´m happy as a kid....i can´t wait to have my own dobrogicus babies....although i´m kind of swamped with juveniles, and the next genertion of C.orientalis starting to morph is no help at all.

Congratulations for the eggs!!!!!!!

Suerte!

How far along are your larvae? Post some pics. One of my females just started laying eggs as well and they are fertile.

Congratulations on the eggs, Rodrigo!

Congrats! Hope they hatch for you and do well. :)

T. dobrogicus is one of the species on my "wish list."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back