Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are we doing the right things ?

paullism

Reaction score
My daughter has 3 Axolotls (Midnight, Sunshine & Smiley) in a 165 litre tank - Aqua one AR - 850 with the pump & filter. We have had them for almost 1 month. We have a base of pebbles (large enough that they can't eat them) but we are finding that we have to do a vaccum/water change twice a week and have to stir the water to release back through the pump & filter, but we are concerned that this might be stressing them ? There does not appear to be enough water flow through the pebbles. We are currently in the process of switching from the carbon filter system to the Purigen one. We feed them either bloodworms or beef twice a week & they each get 3 pellets of Aqua Master Axolotl dried food each day, is this too much ? Are we doing the right things ? Thanks Chelsea & Paul :wacko:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You're on the right track! We're glad to have you on the forum!

Pebbles are bad. For one, you may think they're too big to eat, but a lot of people have thought that. And if your axolotls are young, they'll get bigger, and will have bigger mouths. And for two, you've already noted, they're hard to clean. I would totally change to sand. It's easier to clean, is more natural, and has a less chance of causing impaction (and death).

I cannot say about the filter, as I can't find any information on it. But the key to filters is to make sure they do not cause current in the tank. Using 'undergravel' filters isn't ideal, as they don't work very well for axolotls, and actually trap more waste than they remove. And if you have the pump strong enough to actually move the waste, the current is too strong for the axolotls.

Did you cycle your tank? Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate? What temperature is your tank? As far as volume, 165 liters is a good size for 3 axolotls.

As far as food, you don't say how old/big the axolotls are. But a good rule of thumb is to feed them often enough and enough quantity that they look pudgy, but not really fat. If they get too thin, feed more often. If they look too fat, feed less. Keep in mind that feeding too big of meals at one time can cause vomiting. Earthworms make a great staple. I don't know the nutritional content of the 'axolotl food', but usually dried foods aren't ideal. Bloodworms are good, but can be lacking in calcium. There are lots of threads on appropriate foods.

paullism

Reaction score
Thank you Kaysie for the advice it is much appreciated & we will be switching over to sand next weekend when Chelsea comes over. I will go purchase some play sand this weeked & start filtering it with a pillow case so it's ready to use when Chelsea comes over.

paullism

Reaction score
I have Kaysie.
I got them for my 12 year old daughter for her Birthday. She really wanted them so I got them. I have now found myself growing very attached to them and want to make sure that we do every thing right by them.
I am going to set Chelsea up on this site when she comes over next weekend, so you will probably receive a thank you from her too then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1