Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White patch around eyes, T. natans

A

achiinto

I just noticed one of my T. natans eye has a big white patch around it. I noticed that most T. natans have white patch around their eyes. I guess those are normal marking. But I notice this T. natans I have has one of its eye more obviously white than the other. Anyone have experience what that is? Is it possible to be a normal issue? Perhaps a shedding of skin starting from the eye? Or an infection or fungus that is infecting the eye?

I am very new to this species and it is very hard to observe them or watch for any sign of sickness. My observation so far is that both 2 of my T. natans burrow very often, guess is normal. However, they started wandering the enclosure now as they are feeling less stressed. I have been changing water 1 to 2 times a week, 50% each time. I have these two T. natans for 1.5 month. The water is cycled with AM, NI, NA water parameters at the very low end. Temperature just dropped 2 degress from 80F to 78F. So maybe that triggered something.

Any suggestion what this maybe? How should I take care of it? I guess putting them in the fridge is not a good idea for tropical animal, is there a good way to simply strength the animal health?

Thanks

Sebby

Reaction score
Hi Achiinto

Sorry i'm not an expert on these animals (see my previous posts ;)) but here's a few ideas,
are the animals eating? If so, I wouldn't do anything drastic straight away, at least until someone else has posted their thoughts.

I wouldn't cool them, or raise the temperature any more, just keeping them within normal parameters is normally best for a sick animal unless advised otherwise by someone with experience with the species.

You mention that water parameters are at the low end, after this time ammonia and nitrite should both be at zero, possibly having small rises after feeding if you have very good test kits.
If the tests are reading anything I would perform smaller water changes for a while and see if this helps.
I dont think the low readings are likely to be the problem but the better the conditions are, then the happier your animals will be in general.

I am sorry I cant offer more advice on the white patch, is there a chance you could photograph it and post it for people to see?

Hope things go ok,
Sebastian

A

achiinto

Thanks for helping. For record purpose, I like to report that the natans is recovering. The wound was due to the sharp gravels being used for the substrate. While the animal burrows, it injured the animal.
I have changed to large pebble stone substrate now. And the animal is showing sign of recovery.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!