Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what fish will do well with firebellys?

noone

Reaction score
i just recently finished my paludarium..

and i was hoping to house my newts but..

the temp of the paludarium should be around 18-20c

do you know any small fish than can be housed with news?

i was thinking for nenon tetras ..

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aren´t neons tropical??? I don´t think they would do well at all at the temps needed for the newts.
I know people keep white minnows with newts, and they seem to be fine at cool temps.
I wouldn´t recommend ANY other fish .....

Neuter

Reaction score
I also would not recommend any other fish. Fire bellies are not very large and even if a fish can't eat them, it will scare them.

Gingrich

Reaction score
The only fish that I've have heard go well with Fire bellies are White Cloud Minnows. A few other types are okay if you have temps higher than 68 0F year-round. Tank-mates are usually discouraged because they will often stress animals and require different environments and temperatures.

noone

Reaction score
i will go to the pet store and ask if they have them..
(White Cloud Minnows)

any other suggestions?

i can house only very small fish like tetras ..

how big do this White Cloud Minnows get?

Gingrich

Reaction score
If you keep your tank above 68°F (20°C) year round you can keep Zebra, Gold, and Blue Danios, Scissor-tail Rasbora, or Guppies. If you do decide to keep newts with a fish watch to make sure that they are not stressed. I once had a fish fry come in on some plants from the pet store. I had to remove it when it started biting at my newts (it was smaller than the newts) because the newts were sure to kill it if I didn't.

Generally speaking the only animals besides newts of the same species, are small aquarium snails like Ramshorn or Malaysian Live Bearing Trumpet snails should be kept with newts.

noone

Reaction score
I once had a fish fry come in on some plants from the pet store. I had to remove it when it started biting at my newts (it was smaller than the newts) because the newts were sure to kill it if I didn't.

what is a fish fry?

thing i will try and keep a steady temp 20 and try with some of the cooler water species ..

thnx for the very useful answers you gave me

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If i were you i would give more importance to the health of your newts than to your desires of having fish with them.
There´s no benefit whatsoever about keeping fish with newts, but there are many disadvantages....

noone

Reaction score
i cant see why news will be afraid of some very small fish...

in the wild they it is more natural to encounter them all the time..

i am not talking about big fish that can be dangerous to my newts!!

if the size is not an issue and the temp are correct then i don't see the reason why they cant be in the same tank!!

it will look like a scene from a lake..

that was my target to make my paludarium look like something out of nature..

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i cant see why news will be afraid of some very small fish...

in the wild they it is more natural to encounter them all the time..

i am not talking about big fish that can be dangerous to my newts!!

if the size is not an issue and the temp are correct then i don't see the reason why they cant be in the same tank!!

it will look like a scene from a lake..

that was my target to make my paludarium look like something out of nature..

Most newts live in ponds (or vernal pools) with few or no fish. Also, there are very few fish that tolerate the COLD temperatures that are very healthy for newts.

I had guppies with newts several years ago. When I went on vacation in winter, I turned down the thermostat, and I came home to find all the guppies dead. The newts loved the cooler house, but the guppies didn't. The only fish I use now is the white cloud minnow. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Cloud_Mountain_minnow
They look a little bit like neon tetras. I like them a lot.

Neuter

Reaction score
Fish also generally move faster and have better eyesight than newts. This will make feeding your newts a lot more difficult, the fish will go after the food even if you hand feed them. I would really discourage it.

ALSO, every living thing in your tank will put out amonia and other forms of waste, which increases the bio-load on the tank, increasing the rate that the water is polluted.

noone

Reaction score
you got some good points there..

will try and find a few cloud minnow's not to many maybe 6 to form a small pack..

Neuter

Reaction score
6 minnows can pack quite a bit of food in them, they will continue to eat to the point that their stomachs burst if food is available. It will make feeding your newts much harder.

noone

Reaction score
6 minnows can pack quite a bit of food in them, they will continue to eat to the point that their stomachs burst if food is available. It will make feeding your newts much harder.
i can feed my newts in a dish on the land area of my paludarium..

will this work?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As Jen said, many species will choose water msses that have very small populations of fish, and even only inhabit those that are completely fish free. It´s known for some species , or populations to leave specific water masses because fish have been introduced.
Safest thing to do is to keep monospecific acuariums....but if you are set on keeping fish, get some minnows as you´ve been told. I wouldn´t keep 6 though...unless it´s a pretty big tank...Stress and extra waste is something to be concerned about.

Neuter

Reaction score
i can feed my newts in a dish on the land area of my paludarium..

will this work?
Fire bellies find food based on smell, which is much, much stronger in water.

How long have you had your fire bellies? Most spend most of their time in the water, many are almost fully aquatic.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh? There is no fish that will eat until its stomach bursts. White cloud minnows will eat some of the newts' food, but they don't really eat very much.

I agree that feeding the newts from a dish on land is probably not going to work.

And I agree that ghost shrimp are OK with newts. But in my experience they don't live very long.

noone

Reaction score
am going to the petstore tomorrow and i will try to find some minnows.

ad some shrimps to add to my paludarium

i will also add some more plants like anubis and other smaller ones

will post pics as soon as is finished

thnx very much for the iinfo..

this forum helped me very very much!!

:happy:

btw just today i added my news to the paludarium.

i had them in a smaller tank just to get them stared on feeding..

so they will need time to adjust to their new environment

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1