Water level question...

Aneesas Muse

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm about to transfer my new Axolotl to her own 20g long ...it's been "seeded" from other established tanks in MY home... and I am curious about what the water level should be. I read the article on Axolotl.org ..and looked at the pic... so..

Is it better to have a lower water level ..or is a full tank acceptable? I have a secure canopy on the 20g, so escaping is not an issue (dealing with my Zoo, I am very skilled at keeping "kids" contained).

Currently, Fred is in my 30g and she spends equal time on bottom ..in the driftwood areas ...and on or near the surface, floating in the Anubias, etc. (She can't stay in the 30g with my Emerald Eye Rasboras and Cories ...or the plant substrate ..cuz they all fit in her mouth!) Is this behaviour common ..or is she still adjusting ....could something be wrong? She's been here since Thursday, last week.

Thanks! :happy:

She sounds absolutely fine to me. Exploring the different areas of her tank, floating in the plants.

As for your water level. An axolotl tank is better being filled almost to the top. One reason is it gives them more swimming space and another reason is it helps to diliute their waste more effectively.
Obviously in a tank with less water the water will foul up more quickly and you will need to carry out more frequent water changes.

Thank you so much! Full tank it is, then! :D

Just one more question..

I am still torn between bare bottom, sand or very large river stones (like 3 - 4" size), and I know with the large stones, her worms can get down in between and underneath ..making it hard for her to get a snack. Has anyone utilized a "feeding dish" for this?

For example, in my ADF tank.. I have a small dish that I put various food items in and the froggies go and eat out of there ..buffet style. Would this work for Fred?

I'm still working on teaching her to take food off a pair of tongs, as well :happy:

Feeding dishes work great. I know several members use that strategy along with feeding jars. Jars filled with food and then sunk to the bottom.

Personally, I'd go with sand or bare bottom. Large river stones tend to trap debris that can cause water quality issues down the road. With an animal as messy as an axolotl you want to eliminate as many sources of bad water quality as possible. That's not to say that large river rocks don't work, I just think they are more work.

Thank you, Abrahm! :happy:

The last thing I need is more work ..with my crew, err ZOO!! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back