Illness/Sickness: Blister or Cut on my axie's lower lip??

Jess

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axie seems to have either a blister or a cut on his left lower lip.

It is swollen up like a blister, but when he swims it moved around, which is why I'm wondering if he cut it on something. It is also a reddish color, which makes me wonder if its been bleeding.

Either way, I just need to know what I should do. Do I need to clean it? I don't want it to get infected. Or should I just leave him alone and see if it heals itself?

If you post a photo that could help us see what's wrong.:eek:

Not sure about a blister? I don't think I have ever heard of an axie getting a blister. If it's a cut and it doesn't have any fungus or anything, I think that you should just leave it alone for now.

Are there any tank mates?
It would be a good idea to work out how it happened (eg. tank mate, sharp object), so that you can help prevent it from happening in the furture.

What do you feed you axie? Is it anything that could be sharp or have pinches?

Last edited:
I tried to take a picture, but the cut/blister is so small, I could not get a good image where you could actually see it.

There are no tank mates. I feed him earthworms only (nightcrawlers). This has never happened before, and I have had the same tank setup for months.

There is no history of fungus in my tank or with my axie. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to prevent infection.

I put him in the fridge earlier this afternoon, and the blister/cut seems less swollen than earlier. Maybe I will just keep him in the fridge for a couple of days to see if that speeds up the healing process. At least I know keeping him in the fridge will keep fungus away, and hopefully infection.

If that's what makes you feel comfortable, then go for it!:D

Being in the fridge for awhile won't do any harm. Just make sure you change the water daily.

Basically, there's nothing you can do. The best thing is to let it be and watch to make sure it doesn't get worse. If the swelling is going down and your axie is happy enough, then it should be ok for now.

I don't know if this will help, but on your camera there should be a function called 'close up' or something similar or the function should be represented as a 'tulip' picture. That is the setting that you need to use to take a photo of your little ones lip.

Is your axie eating?

on your camera there should be a function called 'close up' or something similar

It's called macro on mine, and there's also a landscape option. If you could tell me the model of your camera I might be able to help, otherwise it should be in the manual. My axie pictures have improved greatly since I discovered this function :happy:

All I have is a camera phone, or this would be alot easier.

I put him in the fridge earlier this afternoon, and the blister/cut seems less swollen than earlier. Maybe I will just keep him in the fridge for a couple of days to see if that speeds up the healing process. At least I know keeping him in the fridge will keep fungus away, and hopefully infection.

Hi Jess,

The fridge will certainly help him heal. You may need to keep him in there for longer than a couple of days. He will need his water changed each day and the temperture must be the same so he is not subjected to temperature shocks - keep a jug of dechlorinated water in the fridge to use for these changes.

Is the wound/blister looking better?

What sort of ornaments do you have in the tank? Anything with a rough/jagged edge can injure an axolotl as they have very senstive skin. Is there any driftwood in the tank that may have splintered edging? Sharp rocks?

If an axolotl is spooked, he will tend to 'dart around' in a panic and may have rammed into something that would not normally bother him if he wasn't moving at speed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back