Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

does anyone know the name of this one?

nells

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone know what this is called. Its a rooted plant that forms a floating mat

a rooted plant this forms a floating mat

Attachments

• new plant.jpg
    new plant.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 332

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of looks like Soleirolia soleirolii, but can´t be sure either....

benw

Reaction score
Hi

Itlooks like Azolla Filiculoides, Water Fern, a native of North America, and can be quite invasive, it goes red in the autumn and tend to disappear a little in the coldest weather and come back with a vengeance in the spring

Hope this helps

Ben

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I would guess a Salvinia species, but again, I'd need a closer shot to tell for sure.
-Tim

benw

Reaction score
Forgot to add the pic to confirm it

Ben

Attachments

• azolla.jpg
    azolla.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 307

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I really think there´s no way that´s Azolla....
The picture is not clear enough but that plant defenitely has leaves as such, while azolla doesn´t...instead it has compacted filoids...

KennyDB

Reaction score
That is definately Azolla, I have a lot of it...

edit:
@Azhael: I think you see leaves in it because they're to much of them in that tank, on top of eachother and stuff?
Soleirolia isn't an aquatic plant, we use it as ground cover in gardens.

I'm beginning to doubt it to...but still Azolla really looks like that when it's so packed together...otherwise it can be some kind of Salvina?

A better picture would make it a lot easier.

grtz

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a pile of Lemna minor to me (duckweed?) but I am not sure with this small picture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1