Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slate

pike0

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have one axolotl. i have a slow flowing internal filter, and large gravel, however, i am not happy with the gravel, im going into the local town this weekend and am thinking of getting some slate. Obviously i would file any rough edges down etc, but do i have to buy specifically for aquarium?

Or can i just buy normal slate and give it a good wash first?

Thanks

Kal El

Reaction score
Hi Pike,

Are you intending on covering the gravel with the slate? Because if that is the case, I would strongly reccommend that you don't use the slates for that purpose. Nor does it seems like a good idea to use the slates on their own. The main reason of objection for either of these methods is that you will trap debris under the slates, which will undoubtedly cause a build up ammnonia. When ammonia builds up, it can take weeks of daily partial water changes before you correct the water chemistry again.

Having said that, you can purchase slate for the pet stores that are labeled 'aquarium safe'. Alternatively, you can purchase some from the hardware store. But be sure to avoid slates that are either marble or limestone, as these can leach carbonates into the tank and raise the pH. A good way to test if the slate is comprised of limestone is to score the slate. Limestone generally has a 'chalky' appearance and will score readily. You could also ask to take a small sample of the slate back home, and immerse it into a bucket of water which is of known pH. Leave it for a week, and then test the pH again. If the pH has gone up, then you know not to use that slate.

For now, the best solution is to obtain sand. Play sand is best option.

pike0

Reaction score
Hi Pike,

Are you intending on covering the gravel with the slate? Because if that is the case, I would strongly reccommend that you don't use the slates for that purpose. Nor does it seems like a good idea to use the slates on their own. The main reason of objection for either of these methods is that you will trap debris under the slates, which will undoubtedly cause a build up ammnonia. When ammonia builds up, it can take weeks of daily partial water changes before you correct the water chemistry again.

Having said that, you can purchase slate for the pet stores that are labeled 'aquarium safe'. Alternatively, you can purchase some from the hardware store. But be sure to avoid slates that are either marble or limestone, as these can leach carbonates into the tank and raise the pH. A good way to test if the slate is comprised of limestone is to score the slate. Limestone generally has a 'chalky' appearance and will score readily. You could also ask to take a small sample of the slate back home, and immerse it into a bucket of water which is of known pH. Leave it for a week, and then test the pH again. If the pH has gone up, then you know not to use that slate.

For now, the best solution is to obtain sand. Play sand is best option.

Hi there, thanks for a decent reply!

I was planning on removing the gravel, i never considered placing slate on top, i was just going to use it on its own as a base. I have read somewhere that the play sand is a great choice, but it can also be difficult to clean? how about "aggregate" i also read that this is a great base for the axolotls, far too big to swallow but provides great colouration and grip.

Kal El

Reaction score
Note quite sure what you meant by aggregate, so I googled it, and apparently it can contain traces of concrete. You're not going to want concrete in your tank.

I have read somewhere that the play sand is a great choice, but it can also be difficult to clean?

Contrary to popular belief, sand is quite easy to clean. I was once against sand as well and although I have never used, it seems to be the option for the axolotl considering it's the best representation of their native habitat. Upon purchasing play sand, you will have wash it thoroughly until the water turns clear. This may seem tedious, but is necessary nonetheless. Once when the tank has been established with the sand, you will have to stir the sand every now and then to prevent the build-up of hydrogen sulfide gas.

Jay.

pike0

Reaction score
Note quite sure what you meant by aggregate, so I googled it, and apparently it can contain traces of concrete. You're not going to want concrete in your tank.

Contrary to popular belief, sand is quite easy to clean. I was once against sand as well and although I have never used, it seems to be the option for the axolotl considering it's the best representation of their native habitat. Upon purchasing play sand, you will have wash it thoroughly until the water turns clear. This may seem tedious, but is necessary nonetheless. Once when the tank has been established with the sand, you will have to stir the sand every now and then to prevent the build-up of hydrogen sulfide gas.

Jay.

The aggregate i read about on an axolotl keeping website. As long as you buy specific aquarium aggregate its fine. i have looked into sand and do fancy trying it.
So just try some play sand?
I read in another thread on here to put it in an old pillow case and wash thouroughly (sp)

Thanks for your help.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sand is the easiest to clean (next to bare bottom) in an established tank. With large pebbles, you have the same problem you would have with slate: 'crud' falling between the cracks and getting trapped. Also, with using large pebbles, it's practically impossible to get an aquarium siphon in between the rocks, as rocks get trapped in the siphon end, and you just make a mess.

Personally: I prefer pool-filter sand. It's more coarse than play sand, and doesn't seem to throw up as much
dust.

You can use a pillow case, or you can use buckets (I used ice cream tubs). Put it under the faucet, turn it on, and stir, stir, stir, stir, and stir some more.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used slate floor tiles in aquariums for years. I don't think there would be any problem with putting pieces of slate in the bottom of the tank. There would be a tiny amount of water, and possibly debris, trapped under the slate, but I don't think it would be enough to cause problems.

I have a tank where I actually used silicone cement to attach slate tiles to the bottom. It's now a great tank BUT it took about 2 months for the silicone to cure. So I wouldn't necessarily recommend this approach.

pike0

Reaction score
Sand is the easiest to clean (next to bare bottom) in an established tank. With large pebbles, you have the same problem you would have with slate: 'crud' falling between the cracks and getting trapped. Also, with using large pebbles, it's practically impossible to get an aquarium siphon in between the rocks, as rocks get trapped in the siphon end, and you just make a mess.

Personally: I prefer pool-filter sand. It's more coarse than play sand, and doesn't seem to throw up as much
dust.

You can use a pillow case, or you can use buckets (I used ice cream tubs). Put it under the faucet, turn it on, and stir, stir, stir, stir, and stir some more.

So pool-filter sand is recommended aswell as play sand an aquarium sand. Well tbh, i think i will use sand for my setup. I do like the look of a slate bottom, but with the potential issues i will try sand. i have read a good way to clean sand i with a turkey baster or pipette.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do like the look of a slate bottom, but with the potential issues i will try sand.

I have slate floors in all of my aquatic tanks and have never had a problem. Just make sure you use nice flat pieces to minimize the gap underneath. I tried sand but it was nothing but hassle - half of it turned black with algae and the other half was sucked up during siphoning. My slate bases on the other hand grow attractive looking hair algae and are easy to siphon around.

Neke

Reaction score
i have read a good way to clean sand with a turkey baster or pipette
You can still clean it normally using a siphon, just hold it a bit above the sand. I've got 2 and I use the smaller one on my axie tank - it's not as strong so even if I put it right on the sand it doesn't suck much of it up (but still grabs any waste). The turkey baster works really well for spot cleans, but I still do weekly siphons when I do a water change to get rid of anything that's hiding behind plants or under ornaments. Granted, my tank is only a few months old, but I haven't had any problems cleaning the sand or it getting algae on it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!