Oh no!! Worms or "maggots" on the glass!!...

drmunroe

Reaction score
Country
Australia
During a power outage tonight, i shone my torch into my tank only to discover what appears to be maggot like worms on the inside of the glass in my axie tank!! The outage was for about 4 or so hours so ofcourse there was no filtration during this time. Ive never noticed it before so it may have happened during the outage but i would assume it would take more than a few hours to grow them? They seem to be upto 3-4mm in length? & are white...

Any ideas what they are?? Or how to treat?? Will they harm my axies??...

Don't worry about them, they'll be harmless. A healthy aquarium will be home to all manner of critters. If critter populations bloom it can be indicative of excessive nutrients/waste. This article has advice on how to keep them under control: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

Are you sure they originated in the tank and not somewhere else? We always get maggots in summer in Bris if we don't take the bin out every single day, maybe they're festering somewhere else and you just can't see them in the dark...

Sorry I can't be much help, I just wanted to say that I hope you and your axies are doing ok - At least you're not at Ipswich! The floods and storms have been mental and I hope everybody else in the area has managed to avoid most of the destruction, I can't believe how much damage it's done - at least you guys seem to be in one piece! Good luck :(

Hi drmunroe
Its probably planaria . As mark said , they are due to excess nutrients . As long as it does not get out of control you will be ok . They can cause gill irritation if too many find thier way onto your axie . A couple of good water changes and a bit of cleaning should see them reduce in numbers .
Hope this helps

well i did look at that link & i was hoping was the worms listed.
Today i swapped them from the 2ft tank to a 4ft tank, mainly for more space & because the 4ft tank is in a cooler room.
We'll see what happens...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back