Question: Marbles and L.E.D/UV lighting

Woozel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Woozel
Hey seasoned keepers couple of questions:

Do you think standard 1/2" marbles would make a suitable substrate for all ages/sizes of Axies??
Do LED/UV(blacklight) bother Axies during the night phase of the photoperiod, not like a once in a while thing but a continuous effect in the tank?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::crazy:

Marbles of that size are bad for a couple reasons: The main reason being they're large enough for an axolotl to swallow, but not small enough for them to pass easily. This can cause intestinal impaction and death. And for two: they're hard to keep clean. Food and waste will fall between the cracks and can build up.

I think UV light could potentially be dangerous. Axolotls have sensitive skin, and lack eyelids. UV light could penetrate the light and cause problems.

Axolotls have a cone receptor which is sensitive to ultraviolet. It may be quite disturbing as well as the other risks Kaysie mentions.

Reference: Characterization of an ultraviolet photoreception mechanism in the retina of an amphibian, the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum)
Mark E. Deutschlander, John B. Phillips Neuroscience Letters 197 (1995) 93-96

I've only read the HTML version via Google scholar, but it is probable they can see ultraviolet.

I'd have to agree with the others, the marble size is bad and so is the blacklight. These lights can give off a small amount of UVC which can be especially bad to the thin skin of an axolotl.

As for LEDs they are just a type of light source. If you're speaking of the blue light/moon light LEDs they sell, those at least are not harmful, but they may disturb the axolotl's day/night cycle.

Very informative and quick on the responses, thank you all. I guess the next would be Watter Coverage, any specific plants to avoid? I wasn't planning on much more than an Anubia ssp., maybe some Sagittaria, and Bladderwort when i can get it in season (spring).

Duckweed. Unless you like removing pond plants on a regular basis.

As far as plants, the hardest part is finding plants that are both low-light tolerant, and cold-hardy enough to survive with axolotls. That, and their penchant for tearing plants apart.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back