Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: CFB weird curved posture?

Jesthing

Reaction score
Hello,

I had originally posted on here not too long ago for help with picking out a newt. (First newt/salamander thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58111). Ends up there was a suddent drop in temperature and it was not safe to ship newts so I caved and bought 2 at a local petshop not wanting to wait until spring. I asked a girl and she said she had been working there for 3 or 4 months and I was the first to buy a newt!

Either way I have 2 questions.. They keep taking this curvy posture, kind of like a scared cat. They put their heads on the rocks and peck. Are they looking for food/hungry? They kind of do that when they eat. I've been feeding them everyday since I got them incase they had not been fed enough at the petstore. They are hungry little guys! Doesn't show that much in the picture but she (i think it's a she) will really curve up and put her head in the rocks.

IMG_1609.JPG

Question 2: They are always in the water. I have a floating plant they could go on and driftwood that breaks the water with a little area to rest on/rock trail to facilitate climbing on it and they have not used it at all. They just walk around the bottom of the aquarium and swim up for a "gulp of air" every now and then. Is that normal?

Thank you!

PS. I have other pictures of the newts here.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Your newts sound perfectly healthy to me; Mine have searched for food that way before. Cynops orientalis is a highly aquatic species, so them spending the majority of the time in the water is actually a good sign. Good Luck!

p.s.- Have you considered using sand as a substrate? Often times food gets lost/trapped between the cracks in gravel and can cause water quality issues if it is not removed. Sand looks just as nice and makes clean-up easier.

Jesthing

Reaction score
Oh, I had understood that I was supposed get rocks that are too big for the newts to accidentally swallow.. I got a turkey baster and suck up the remaining food with it once they stop eating though. Mind you they are pretty determined to eat every single piece I put in there! Pushing rocks with their feet/legs when they are in the way. I'll keep that in mind incase it becomes a problem :]. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1