Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Newbie questions!

Bruce

Reaction score
We are interested in purchasing some Axolotls and are in the process of setting up our tank. We have read all the info on the water flow etc. but cannot find anything about whether we need an air pump? If so, how can we do this without stressing them out? Also, we have read on other sites that it is not a good idea to have other fish in the tank with the Axolotl, but just wondered is this strictly true and whether there is a type of fish we could keep with them? Thankyou to anyone who is able to help!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

The filter usually provides more than enough aeoration to the water so you don't 'need' an air pump. It's really a matter of personal choice whether to have one or not. Some axolotls enjoy playing with the airstones and some find it stressful. If the axolotl is displaying any signs of stress with the airstone remove it as stress can lead to illness.

The only fish that can be kept safely with axies is feeder fish such as guppies and white cloud minnows (fish intended for food). If you love your fish, don't put it in with the axolotl. The axie lives by the axie code: "If it's smaller than me, moving by me, it just must be food!".

Larger fish can make an axolotl's life miserable by nipping the axolotl's gills and adding to water quality issues. Not many fish can tolerate the cold temperature which an axie needs to survive which is another issue. If the axolotl snaps at a fish that is too big, the fish can get stuck in the axolotl's mouth. Most importantly, some fish have natural defences such as spines which can kill an axolotl when the axie tries to eat it.

I would recommend you read through this 'mixing disasters' article: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

If you haven't already found this part of the site, it gives all the information you need for the care of axolotls: http://www.axolotl.org/

And of course you can always pop into the forum with any questions you may have - unlike our axies we don't bite! ;)

Cheers Jacq.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you have a filter that agitates the surface of the water somewhat, there is no need to have an air pump. I'd recommend searching the forum archives for "axolotl and fish" and things like that, and you'll find lots of old discussions about fish. How large is your tank?

Bruce

Reaction score
Thankyou so much for your reply, I think we won't bother with other fish in the tank! Looking forward to getting our Axylotl now, I'm sure we'll have more questions once we get them!

Bruce

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, our tank is 3ft wide, by 2ft deep, by 1.5ft height. We were hoping to have two Axylotl, will this be big enough?

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Hello Bruce, a 3ft tank will be fine for 2 adult axolotls. Just be sure to provide them with plenty of hides so they can have some time out from each other.
And just to second what Jacq said Axolotls love to eat fish. I put 3 largeish platties in with mine one late afternoon and by the morning all three had surprisingly vanished into thin air.....hmmm....late night axolotl snack i think.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1