Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

how to tell if Axolotl has swallowed gravel

pike0

Reaction score
Hi guys, well i have had my Axi for a week now. I been feeding him small pellets once a day, then clearing uneaten food out. At the moment he is on large gravel. Now i have never seen him take any in when feeding, but coiuld it be possible he has swallowed some at another point. After eating the pellets he looks very full. But he isn't put off food, and is still very active.

What are the most common signs of stones being ingested?

I have a new setup for him now (sand substrate) and a much larger tank.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes (especially in light colored axolotls), you can see the gravel through their skin. You will find it in their poo. This is especially true if you put the axolotl into an empty container, and collect its poo.

"Very active" isn't necessarily a good thing. Axolotls are lazy beasts. If it's excessively active, it's not a good sign. How warm is your tank?

pike0

Reaction score
Well he is a light Axie, when the light is on i cant make out any distinctive gravel shapes. My gravel is Green and Blue. Both dark colours, but the pellets i feed him are brown and some almost black. He is active when i feed anyway, maybe i used the term incorrectly. but he seems to be ok..

He is now in his sand substrate tank so time will tell with the poo. Obviously i dont want hime to die :(

The temp is 16degrees.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds fine.

If he's eating and pooing normally, I wouldn't sweat about it. You did the right thing about getting him off gravel.

pike0

Reaction score
Ok thanks, well he had another poo again today, quite a large one. And he doesnt mobe as much as he did in last tank, guess he is more comfortable now. Its amazing how much faster they can crawl on sand.

Thanks for helping me out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1