Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi from the UK

Dave1812

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a quick post.
I currently have 1 Paddle-tail newt, 5 Chinese fire belled newts and 2 Salamanders (unsure of type) Could be Dunn's salamander.
See you all on the forums :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Dave. If you post a pic of your sals, we would be glad to ID them for you.

benw

Reaction score
Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum.

As Kaysie says, if you post a pic of your sals, someone will definately id them.

See you around

Ben

Dave1812

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome.
This is how I started: - we have been keeping tropical and coldwater fish for some years, and on a trip to my local garden store we came across some Chinese Fire bellied newts, and was hooked (I originally wanted a Crested Gecko, but due to lack of fund could not afford one as well as the set up required) and ended up getting five for my cold water tank. Since then I have volunteered for my local "Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty" I will be getting involved with the reporting of all of the UK's reptiles and amphibians including two protected species the Natterjack Toad and the Great Crested Newt along with testing for Chytridiomycosis. And now the pics - can anyone ID the Salamander for me?

Attachments

• DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00029.jpg
    DSC00029.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 108

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The first one appears to be a paddletail newt (Pachytriton), and the second is a spanish ribbed newt (Pleurodeles waltl).

Both of these species can be pretty aggressive, and shouldn't be mixed with each other, or with fish.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1