Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Have been given an axolotle

Newfie

Reaction score
He/she has been living in a tank with a gold fish, so no longer has any gills/frills. Since I have had it, its in a tank on its own, and doing really well. My questions is, How long do they live for? I was told this one is round 8 years old.
thanks for y our replys.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
15-20 years is not unheard of. I'm surprised that one made it 8 years with goldfish. Welcome to the forum :)

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Newfie,

If kept in good conditions an axolotl can live to about 15 years of age, give or take a few years.

It's great that you have the axolotl on its own now - this will certainly add to his or her chances of living to a ripe old age.

If you could post a photo of the axolotl's cloaca which is the area behind his back legs at the base of the tail, we can assist in sexing the axolotl for you if you like. :happy:

Newfie

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm surprised he/she is alive at all, you should have seen the old tank he/she and 1 huge gold fish were living in. I have had it for a year now so its 9years old.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does it truly have NO gills at all? Is it possible that it has metamorphosed?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!