Active Axolotl?

Shadow

Reaction score
Country
England
Is it good when your axolotl is quite active? Last night he seemed to have stayed kinda in one place in the corner but today he seems pretty active. I'm only asking because I read somewhere that having an active axolotl could be bad.

Also another question I was wondering out of randomness, would a morphed axy be able to mate with a sexually mature axolotl? Just curious.

Hi Shadow,

It could just be normal behavior you ar noticing. If you think there is something wrong, though, three questions come to (my) mind:

How old is your axolotl? Younger axolotls are more active than older ones.

Have you had him long? He may just be getting used to the new environment.

Have you tested the water? Water quality is often an issue, particularly in new tanks.

I can't answer the second question, sorry.

-Eva

1. I'm not sure on his age, but he is around 13-14cm in length if that helps.

2. Today is my third day.

3. I can't test untill saturday.

Well, he's young, and new, so probably there is nothng to worry about. Some axolotls like to hide under their cave all day long, and some never hide. If you are concerned, you can always do a 20% water change each day until you can test the water, but if you have him in an adequately large tank (how big is your tank?) and have a filter running, the water quality shouldn't have got so polluted so quickly that he'd be showing symptoms of stress. My guess would be that he's just starting to explore his new environment. Keep watching him - watch his gills, for example, to see if they curve forward (a sure sign of stress) - and see how things develop.

Hope that helps (and congratulations on your new axolotl!),

-Eva

There key is the difference between 'active' and 'frantic'. If it's up, swimming, exploring, snuffling, that's fine. But if it's frantically climbing the sides of the tank, gulping air constantly, swimming frantically back and forth, and resting at the surface, that could be a problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back