Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander hiccup

pepper

Reaction score
I searched the forum before asking, but could not find a post with an answer.

Watson seems to get a hiccup, or two, it'll go like this...

*I put cricket on tweezers near his mouth, he attacks it, gets it in his mouth, in the process of swalloing, while doing this weird, mini yawning thing, where his mouth isn't completely open, just slightly open, then he sort of...hiccup, second later, hiccup, then a few seconds to a minute later he's ready for another cricket.*

Does this mean something bad? Or is he just trying to get the food down? I'm feeding small crickets, so I doubt they could be too big.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have one tiger who does this frequently and has for years. He is more 'rotund' than he should be....not sure if this has something to do with it. I've seen some pretty interesting facial contortions at feeding time. Has Watson always done this? From his last picture, he looks a little on the plump side although you indicated you had just fed him.

IanF

Reaction score
My Salamanders did this as well for awhile. I find using smaller sized food helps them but if your using small crickets sounds like there isn't much you can do.

Last edited:

pepper

Reaction score
Yeah, he seems to be more comfortable resting on my hand when he is done eating, then when he is begging me for food, I feed him about once a day, unless I have time to give him one or two crickets before I go to school, then he gets his nightly feeding. He does get quite chunky after engulfing 10 crickets, but after a little while he slims down.

I'm thinking it may have to do with size of food, when he gets really small crickets, its not as much hiccups, maybe none, when they are small, but not extra small, he usually gives a hiccup or two, I am not feeding any large crickets, I doubt he would be able to eat them, since they'd be about half his size..he doesn't like waxworms, and he doesn't know how to eat earthworms, he tried for like 20 min. but it kept wriggling around and he finally gave up.

amkid247

Reaction score
my young yellow spotted salamander does the same thing! i have pictures of it! i say it looks more like a yawn to me though...

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, he seems to be more comfortable resting on my hand when he is done eating, then when he is begging me for food, I feed him about once a day, unless I have time to give him one or two crickets before I go to school, then he gets his nightly feeding. He does get quite chunky after engulfing 10 crickets, but after a little while he slims down.

I'm thinking it may have to do with size of food, when he gets really small crickets, its not as much hiccups, maybe none, when they are small, but not extra small, he usually gives a hiccup or two, I am not feeding any large crickets, I doubt he would be able to eat them, since they'd be about half his size..he doesn't like waxworms, and he doesn't know how to eat earthworms, he tried for like 20 min. but it kept wriggling around and he finally gave up.
Just a comment - it appears you are feeding crickets exclusively at this time. In that crickets have a poor calcium/phospate ratio, I would recommend dusting the crickets directly before feeding with a good quality vitamin/calcium supplement - see Jennewt's post here for further information:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58369

Metabolic bone disease is a risk. Another risk in tigers is that they can become obese fairly readily...just something to watch for and moderate intake where necessary.

pepper

Reaction score
I do dust them, and he only gets fed about once a day, once he gets older, he's only a new morph now, then I'll feed him every other day, or something along those lines.

I give him an occasional waxworm, I know their fatty, so maybe half of one a week, he doesn't like to eat them whole..

He will eat mealworms, but I wet those and dust them with calcium, and try to catch them when they are white because they just shed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1